This pinwheel sandwich recipe is different in the sense that these are served hot and is thus sure to win hearts as it is a complete starter in itself having tomato ketchup, coriander dip, and potatoes as well.
You must be wondering that sandwich and hot? How is it possible? You are right! But this sandwich can be served cold or hot.
Normally, pinwheel sandwiches are served cold and it’s a fireless recipe. But mine is a little different and when served hot, after being tossed in little oil with mustard seeds, they taste out of the world!
My guests have always loved it. Whoever eats it once wants to have more and more of it.
At the same time, it is good to serve in breakfast or pack in the lunch box. You can make it the previous day and in the morning, just cut roundels and pack in the lunch box. Isn’t it cool!
How to Make
Making these sandwiches is quite easy. Only 4 ingredients are required but you need to prepare them in advance. You need green chutney, tomato ketchup, and mashed potatoes filling for this recipe.
3 bread slices are joined together using water, fillings are laid and then the bread is rolled like a roll.
It is then kept in the refrigerator for some time and then cut into roundels. When cut, you get to see beautiful 3 different colored wheels inside it which looks amazing. Step by step photos will make it clear as to how to roll and then cut these.
Tips for the Perfect Outcome
- After rolling the bread, do not try to roll hard or to give it smoothness at this stage otherwise, it will crumble. Instead, first, pack it in the foil. Once in the foil, the roll is protected and you can press it easily.
- White bread gives the best results.
- Leave the rolls in the refrigerator at least for an hour before cutting roundels. This will give you clean slices without any crumbs.
Step By Step Instructions
- Prepare filling, coriander chutney, and keep tomato ketchup handy.
- For making a pinwheel sandwich, first of all, one long slice is made using three slices of bread.
- For making this, take three bread slices, trim the edges
- Now flatten these slices with a rolling pin.
- Apply water with a brush on the right edges of the first two slices.
- Place three slices slightly overlapping each other.
- Press the joints again with the rolling pin so that it becomes one long piece. Water applied will help the slices to stick with each other.
- Now apply coriander chutney, potato filling and tomato ketchup on the three slices.
- Start rolling from one end
- Do not worry about the loose ends or shape. Place this roll on a piece of aluminum foil.
- Roll it again and now tighten it. As you tighten the foil, the roll takes proper shape.
- Make as many rolls as you want to and keep them in the refrigerator.
- Take out, remove the foil and cut roundels using a sawing motion.
- Serve cold.
- Or, Splutter mustard seeds in little oil and cook these roundels from both sides just for 30 seconds or so or till get crisp.
Serve hot and crispy Pinwheel Sandwiches…
Q) Can I make it ahead?
And the best thing is that you make it in advance. The rolls are made and kept in the refrigerator. At the time of serving, take out, cut roundels, saute in little oil, and are ready to be served.I have used green chutney, tomato ketchup, and potatoes in this recipe.
Some More Bread snacks you may like are:
I hope you have liked easy and unique Pinwheel Sandwich recipe and will definitely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram for the latest recipe updates.
Hot n Crispy Pinwheel Sandwich RecipeAn easy but yummilicious starter which can be made ahead and is equally good for breakfast as well lunch box.
For Pinwheel Sandwiches
- 6 Bread Slices edges trimmed
- 2 Tbsp Green Coriander Chutney
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup/Pizza Sauce
- 2 Potatoes Filling
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds Rai
For Potato Filling
- 2 Potatoes Boiled
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds or Mustard Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli powder to taste
- Dry Mango Powder to taste
For Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Take 3 bread slices, whose sides have been trimmed.
- Brush water on the right edge of the first two bread slices.Place bread slices in such a way so that one slice is slightly overlapping the previous slice.
- Now, with a rolling pin, flatten all three slices in such a way that it becomes one long slice.
- Spread coriander chutney on the first slice.
- Spread potato filling in the center and tomato ketchup on the remaining part.
- Start rolling from one end.
- Do not try to roll hard or to give it smoothness at this stage. (See Note 1)
- Place this roll on aluminum foil and roll the foil with the rolled sandwich in it.T
- Tighten the roll as much as you want so that it gets tight and holds a proper shape.(See Note 2)
- Repeat the process with other three bread slices.
- Keep the rolls in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Take out the rolls, remove the foil.
- Cut roundels of the roll.
- Serve cold or for hot and crispy pinwheels, do as follows.
- Put a little oil in a pan/skillet. When slightly hot, splutter mustard seeds and put the roundels.
- After 20 to 30 seconds, toss them and cook the other side too.
- When both sides get crispy serve with love.
For Making Potatoes Filling
- Mash boiled and peeled potatoes.In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil. Crackle mustard seeds, add mashed potatoes. Season with salt, chilli powder and dry mango powder.Let it cool down.
- Use Paneer Bhurji (Crumbled Cottage cheese in place of potatoes.
- You can also any left over vegetable instead of potatoes.
- If you want have these cold then apply mayonnaise or grated Cheese in place of potatoes.
- It might break/crumble if you press too hard at this stage. Once in the foil, the roll is protected and you can press it easily.
- You can keep the rolls in the refrigerator easily for a week or so.