This post shows how to make lassi at home with the twist of lemon and mint flavors in it that turns a regular Lassi into all the more refreshing and soothing summer drink.
Thinking of recipes from alphabet L, for Blog Chatters A2Z Challenge, something from lemon appealed to me the most, as lemon is the perfect thing to have in summers. Lemonade is the most preferred drink to have in summers as it is not only refreshing but also detoxifies the body.
Today, while trying to come up with a lemon dip, what I finally end up getting was a lemon smoothie or say lemon lassi.
This Lemon Sweet Lassi recipe is the easiest to make and is the best thing to have in summers. You can add mint or basil in it for additional freshness. To make it sweet, you can use the sweetener of your choice. Be it honey or unrefined sugar or stevia or anything else.
To make this lassi, put all the ingredients in the blender and blend it for a minute . That’s it!
Give this cold Lemon Lassi to your darlings before going to school or after they come from school and they will just love it. If they don’t want to have milk in the morning, just don’t pressurize them to have it. Instead, give them this chilled lemon lassi.
Coming back to our sweet lassi recipe, as we all know the base of lassi is Dahi (curd).
Dahi is a good source of probiotics which means it promotes the growth of healthy bacteria and reduces the growth of bad bacteria in our digestive system. Lassi keeps us well hydrated. Apart from this being rich in calcium, it boosts the immune system and helps in maintaining strong bones and teeth.
Q) Can we replace sugar with other sweeteners?
Yes, you can skip the sugar and use other different sweeteners like jaggery, palm sugar, coconut sugar, or maple syrup.
Q) Why do we add lemon to our lassi?
We do so for two reasons.
- The first is that it adds a very refreshing taste to it.
- And secondly, lemon lassi has an edge over normal lassi as it has additional Vitamin C coming from the lemons.
Q) But what exactly is lemon zest?
It is just the yellow/green covering on the lemon. The white part beneath it, also called pith, is bitter and one should take care not to use it for culinary purposes.
Q) What are the benefits of lemon zest?
- Lemon juice has the taste but lemon zest has the aroma. After grating lemon to get the zest, your hands continue smelling lemony for a long time. Other than the aroma, lemon zest has great nutritional benefits too.
- Lemon zest is in fact powerhouse of nutrition being loaded with fiber, calcium, vitamin C, and minerals. Unfortunately, we squeeze out the juice and throw away the peels. Whereas these peels are so valuable. I already have a post titled ‘How To Use Lemon Peels’. You may go through that and I promise, you will never again throw these valuable peels.
Q) How to get lemon zest?
- To get the lemon zest, grate the lemon only from the lemon part. The moment you touch the white part stop grating and turn over. Do not grate the white part.
- If possible, it is best to put the lemons in the freezer for a few hours. As the lemon freezes, the skin hardens and thus grating it becomes easier. Thereafter, you can put the whole lemon as it is in the squeezer and extract its juice. No need to cut into two, as we otherwise do.
Must Try: Using lemon zest do try Lemon Cake, a refreshing cake that is bursting with the aroma of lemons
Q) Can I skip lemon in this lassi?
A) Yes. You can easily skip lemon in it and then it will be a regular lassi.
Q) What other flavors can I have in Lassi?
A) You can have many variations in it. Instead of lemon juice and lemon zest, you can add any of the following:
- Mango Puree (1/4 cup approx)
- Strawberry Puree (1/4 cup approx)
- Rose Syrup (2 Tbsp)
Q) How is Lassi different from buttermilk?
Though both lassi and buttermilk are made from dahi still they are completely different in taste as well as texture.
- Lassi is sweet whereas buttermilk is salty.
- Lassi is thicker whereas buttermilk is very watery.
- Lassi is heavier on tummy whereas buttermilk is recommended for weight loss.
Some Other Curd Based Recipes:
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe of making Lassi then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram for the latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Refreshing Sweet Lassi in Lemon Flavor
- 4 Tbsp Dahi Curd
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Or as per taste Sugar Powder
- Few sprigs of Mint/Basil
- Few Ice Cubes.
- Before extracting juice from lemons, grate these to get its zest. Grate only the yellow part avoiding the white part beneath it. After grating extract its juice. You can put the whole lemon, without cutting into 2, in the lemon squeezer and get perfect juice.
- Chop mint/basil leaves very finely.
- In a blender, put everything, dahi, water, ice cubes, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar powder, and basil/mint leaves. Blend it for 30 seconds or so.
- Serve with love, crackers optional.
- Try to use thick dahi.
- In case it is very watery then keep it in a strainer for a while.
- Use any sweetener of your choice.
- You can make it ahead in the refrigerator.
- At the time of serving, just churn it again in the blender.
- Lemon zest, if extra, can be stored in the freezer. Use it for garnishing salads, soups or veggies.
Wow yar lemon zest is effective against cancer too n one of the most refreshing . 😍😍😍
True dear… Thanks for going through the post.
Hahaha I had loved Priyanka’s title too, as I’m definitely feeling the lack of sleep through the #AtoZChallenge! I’m glad I discovered your posts. Apart from the recipe, I love the information and tips you’ve given about lemons. Will try and make the lassi soon 🙂
Thanks dear for going through the post. Do share your feedback once you try it out. And yes, I liked your name a lot😊
Lemon zest has more medicinal properties than one can imagine
True but sadly we don’t make full use of it.
You won’t believe but I am trying your fruit popsicle recipe today,it is in deep freeze now 😋😋everyone is waiting for the outcome 😀 Thank you for mentioning me and hope you got some good sleep.
Waiting for your next😋
I opened your site and I got hungry🤣. I wanna come to your place and taste all the recipies you share on your blog. And this lemon lassi you share at the right time because in summer, we look for such mind and stomach relaxing desserts:)
Thank you so so much for the mention and I hope you had some rest.
I have been enjoying a your recipes since day 1 and today I have tried my hands on Fruit Popsicle recipe inspired by you, now everyone is waiting for it to get ready 😋😋
Lemon Lassi. I have never heard about it!!! Lemon juice and zest in lassi… seems like a great idea… will try it tomorrow. Thanks for this new recipe, Samira!