- 1 What is Hung Curd? Hung Curd Meaning
- 2 What are the Benefits of Hung Curd?
- 4 Hung Curd Recipe with Step by Step Photos
- 6 Hung Curd Recipes
- 7 What is Whey?
- 8 Uses of Whey
- 9 FAQs Regarding Hung Curd Recipe
- 10 Let us Connect!
How to make Hung Curd at Home | Hung curd recipe is really easy and you can make it easily in your own kitchen. All it needs is curd and a few hours!
Sharing with you everything about Hung Curd including a super easy method as to how to make it.
Making the hung curd is really simple. Traditionally, people used a muslin cloth to make hung curd. But I find using a colander a much simpler and better option. How to use a colander? Just wait, first, let's see what hung curd is actually.
What is Hung Curd? Hung Curd Meaning
Hung Curd is a miraculous ingredient. It is not only loaded with health benefits but is the main ingredient in many delicious dishes. It works wonders for the digestive system and acts as a coolant in summers.
Hung curd simply means curd from which all water has been removed. Yes, when we remove all the water content from curd it is called hung curd. It is also known as Chakka Dahi
The quantity of water content and time to remove it depends on the consistency of your curd.
What are the Benefits of Hung Curd?
Curd is better than milk. And hung curd is better than curd. If I list some of the benefits of hung curd then these are:
- Rich in protein and calcium thus good for everybody.
- Low sodium content, therefore good for people suffering from High Blood Pressure.
- Excellent probiotic which means good for the gut.
- Aids in weight loss as it has half the carbs as compared to normal curd.
Hung Curd Recipe with Step by Step Photos
- For making hung curd, place a colander on a big bowl.
- Now, put your curd in this colander.
- Cover it and leave it in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 3-4 hours.
- It is kept in the refrigerator so that it does not get sour due to heat at room temperature. However, in peak winters, you can keep it outside the refrigerator also.
- In the morning (or after 3-4 hours), you will see that a lot of water from curd gets collected in the bowl and curd is like a thick mass of cream.
- And what is left in the colander is hung curd.
- This hung curd is used for making many delicious dishes and dips too.
Note: For making Dahi kabab and cheesecake, you need to keep the curd longer in the strainer. In fact, toss it in between. Ensure that almost all the water in it drains out.
Hung Curd Recipes
With hung curd as the base, you can make many interesting dishes. Famous Dahi kebabs are made with hung curd only. You can make hung curd sandwiches or cheesecake or dips. Hung curd dips are very popular as they are low in calories and rich in nutrient content. Some of the delicious dishes that you can prepare using this hung curd are:
- Blueberry Cheesecake
- Zesty Lemon Dip
- Mango Yogurt Lollies
- Coleslaw Sandwich
- Frozen Fruity Pizza
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt,
- Mango Yogurt | Shrikhand
- Mango Parfait
What is Whey?
Whey is nothing but a by-product of hung curd. Whenever you make hung curd, you will be having Whey!
Water that gets collected in the bowl after preparing the hung curd is called 'Whey'.
Again this water is very nutritious, so please! Do not throw away this whey.
Uses of Whey
It is quite sour in taste and can be used for many purposes. Fill it in a bottle and store it in the refrigerator and use for any of the following purposes :
- Add in gravies: Instead of adding curd or dried mango powder (amchoor/ khatai) or lemon juice in your gravy, use this whey.
- Make Kadhi with this. You will love it. Mix gram flour (besan) in this water and proceed as usual.
- Make Instant Idli/ Dhokla batter with this whey.
- Add while making Cakes.
- Use this as a starter while setting curd next time, however, use a little more quantity.
- Dilute it further and put it in your plants as this is rich in minerals.
- Use it for washing your hair.
- Knead the flour with this water for extra soft and white chapatis.
FAQs Regarding Hung Curd Recipe
Q) Is hung curd and Greek yogurt the same?
To some extent yes. But hung curd is made from curd (dahi) whereas Greek yogurt is made using yogurt. But as both are thick and creamy so these can be used interchangeably.
Q) What is the shelf life of hung curd?
You can keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or up to 2 to 3 days.
Q) Is the nutritional value of hung curd is better than regular curd?
A) Yes. Hung curd is low in carbs and rich in protein.
Q) Hung curd gets ready in how much time?
A) The quantity of water content and time to remove it depends on the consistency of your curd. It may take anywhere between 2 hours to 6 hours. Therefore, it is better to leave it overnight in the refrigerator.
Q) Can I make hung curd with low-fat curd?
A) Yes, you can make it with whatever curd you have. The purpose is to remove water from it and it can be done from any curd, be it low fat or otherwise.
Let us Connect!
Thank you for reading this post. I hope you have liked this hung curd recipe. Shall eagerly look forward for your inputs and views as your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. Also, if you like this post then do share it in your social media circle by clicking little buttons below. You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram (#samirasrecipediary).
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy… But most importantly, Stay Happy…