- 1 Mango Shrikhand At Our Place
- 2 Mango Yogurt Or Mango Shrikhand?
- 3 How To Make Mango Shrikhand or Mango Yogurt?
- 4 Detailed Recipe Of Mango Yogurt Or Mango Shrikhand
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Let's Connect!
- 7 Mango Yogurt Recipe
Mango yogurt, popularly known as Mango Shrikhand in India, is a very easy recipe that requires just 2 ingredients and the best part is that it is a fireless recipe.
It is made from hung curd and mangoes and is healthy too as it is made without using any refined sugar.
It's amazing to see how our plain and simple curd changes into a sumptuous dessert, that too without any cooking.
Curious to know whether mango yogurt and Shrikhand are same or different?
Mango Shrikhand At Our Place
The smooth silky Mango Shrikhand is our favourite and we can have loads of it. Flavouring it with Kewra water makes it a dessert to die for. And the addition of bite-size pieces of mangoes to it makes it all the more awesome.
And the best thing is this is not only a guilt-free dessert but is also good for gut health.
What is Mango Shrikhand?
Shrikhand is a delicacy of Gujarat and Maharashtra and is a must to have in every household there. Shrikhand is nothing but hung curd which is sweetened by adding sugar and is flavoured with cardamom and saffron.
And when mango pulp is added to Shrikhand then it becomes Mango Shrikhand. Do you know its Hindi name? It's known as Aamrakhand too and is popularly known by this name only in Gujarat.
Mango Shrikhand is a dessert which is beautiful to look at, simple to make, divine in taste, good for stomach and economical at the same time. Yes, it has all these attributes.
It is perfect to be served as a dessert or even in the breakfast.
Mango Yogurt Or Mango Shrikhand?
Well, Mango Shrikhand is nothing but Indian style Mango Yogurt which has been infused with aromatic flavours like cardamom and saffron.
Mango yogurt can be made by adding mango puree to hung curd or to yogurt. But, since curd is a household item, made in every Indian house, therefore it becomes easy to make it with curd only.
However, you can add it to Greek yogurt too.
Interested in knowing whether curd and yogurt are the same or different? Then read here.
Shrikhand Vs Mishti Doi
If some of you are feeling that isn't Shrikhand same as Mishti Doi, as both are sweet curd only, then a very brief write-up for you all.
Mishti Doi, is a delicacy of West Bengal where Mishti means sweet and Doi is Curd, thus it means sweet curd.
Both Shrikhand and Mishti Doi are curd based, but their preparation as well tastes are totally different.
- In Mishti Doi, water is not drained and is therefore preferably set in earthen pots, so that excess water is absorbed and eliminated from it. Whereas, Shrikhand is basically hung curd and is made by straining water from it.
- For making Mishti Doi, sweetened milk is reduced to half by the simmering method and is then set using curd as a starter. Whereas, Shrikhand is made by setting regular milk and sweetener is added later.
- Mishti Doi is a delicacy of Bengal and Shrikhand belongs to Gujarat and Maharashtra.
Benefits Of Mango Yogurt
Curd is good for us for a variety of reasons. It is loaded with calcium and has a cooling effect on the body which is why it is preferred in summers. Probiotics present in curd makes it gut-friendly and thus helps in the digestion.
You must have whenever the stomach is upset, be it constipation or dysentery, you are advised to have curd. The healthy bacteria present in it aids digestion.
The only problem with Mango yogurt is sugar. So, avoid refined sugar. Go for healthy sweeteners like Boora sugar (powdered cane sugar) or jaggery or stevia.
How To Make Mango Shrikhand or Mango Yogurt?
Making Mango Yogurt is quite easy. Just set curd, drain all the water from it, add sugar and mango puree and your delectable Mango Yogurt is ready.
And if you have hung curd or Greek yogurt ready then it takes hardly 4 to 5 minutes to make it.
Yes, making hung curd is time-consuming. But I normally put the curd in the strainer in the night and the strainer into the refrigerator. If left outside, then the curd turns sour. And in the morning, my hung curd is ready, without any water. You can check the detailed method to make hung curd here.
Also, make sure to smoothen your hung curd. For this, I blend it in the blender along with mango puree and sugar. And wow... what a velvety texture.
I love adding chopped mango pieces in it before serving. Believe me, it tastes ultimate.
And if you add cardamom powder, saffron to it then Mango Shrikhand is ready.
You can make yogurt in various flavours. Just add puree of your favourite fruit to it and its ready. You can add bananas, blueberries, strawberries or any other pulpy fruit. Like in the season of strawberries, I love making STRAWBERRY YOGURT.
You just don't need any specific time to eat this healthy dessert nor does it need to accompany anything. Just grab a bowl full of it any time of the day and have it.
Detailed Recipe Of Mango Yogurt Or Mango Shrikhand
A. Make Hung Curd
- Take curd and put it in a strainer. Keep the strainer on a bowl so that the liquid is collected in it.
- Keep this strainer along with bowl in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours or preferably overnight. If left in the kitchen then the curd will get sour and we do not want that.
- Take it out and you will have thick creamy curd.
B. Make Mango Yogurt
- Reserve some chopped mangoes and put the rest along with Boora sugar in the blender and puree it finely.
- To this, add hung curd and blend again into a smooth paste.
- Mix in it chopped mangoes.
- Chill in refrigerator.
- Mango Yogurt is ready.
- For making Mango Shrikhand, you may add green cardamom powder and kewra water in it.
- Serve with love.
Use it for making healthy & yummy breakfast called Brain Booster/Yogurt Museli.
- Use any other fruit in place of mangoes like strawberry, kiwi, blueberry, banana etc.
- Use pulpy fruits only and avoid watery fruits like melons etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q) Type Of Mangoes for making Mango Yogurt?
Go for any variety of mangoes that are sweet and bright yellow in colour. Though colour doesn't make any difference in taste but it makes lot of difference in presentation. You know very well that our eyes eat much before our mouth and needless to say, bright yellow mango yogurt is way much appealing than that of pale yellow colour.
I hope you have liked this easy recipe of Mango Yogurt or Mango Shrikhand and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Quora too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Mango Yogurt Recipe
An easy fireless recipe perfect for summers
- 1/2 Cup Hung Curd
- 1 Cup + 1 Tbsp Mango, Peeled and Chopped Roughly
- 1/4 Cup or as per taste Boora Sugar
- 1 tsp Kewra Water, Optional
- 1/4 tsp Green Cardamom Powder (For Shrikhand)
Put chopped mangoes (1 cup) and Boora sugar in the blender and puree it fine.
To this, add hung curd and blend again into a smooth paste.
Chill in refrigerator.
Add kewra water.
Add chopped mango pieces (Optional)
Add green cardamom powder and enjoy it as Shrikhand (Optional)
Serve with love.
Use any other fruit in place of mangoes like strawberry, kiwi, blueberry, banana etc.
- Adjust the quantity of Boora sugar, depending on the sweetness of mangoes, your taste and requirement.
- Take care that mangoes are not sour.
- Bright yellow mangoes give very appealing colour to the yogurt.
- Adjust the quantity of mangoes as per your taste.
You may PIN it for later...