- 1 A Little About Zucchini
- 3 Benefits of Zucchini
- 4 How to Slice Zucchini For Rolls
- 5 Step By Step recipe
- 6 Zucchini Salad recipes
Of all the vegetarian recipes with Zucchini, these Zucchini Rolls are perhaps the easiest and tastiest where, slices of zucchini are rolled with curd dip and vegetables.
Unlike other salads which are served in a bowl, this Zucchini salad is a finger food. Its a salad which says ''Pick me up'' and you just can't resist yourself from picking it up.
This is a fireless recipe and all you need for this recipe is Zucchini, some vegetables and hung curd.
Jump to Recipe
As they say, eyes eat much before our mouth and its a game of presentation. So, why not present the usual salad in an interesting way, so that even your darlings can't say no it. After they come back from school in this sweltering heat, just give them a bowl of Watermelon Slush along with these salad rolls. These cool delights will refresh them immediately and put a smile on their face forgetting all the tiredness.
A Little About Zucchini
Zucchini, also called Squash, is very much a new vegetable in the Indian market. We, Indians, have been using Bottle gourd (Lauki), Ridge gourd (Turai) etc since ages but Zucchini is comparatively new. With the advent of trying out cuisines from all over the world, some vegetables, like Zucchini, Broccoli, bell peppers, Parsley etc are gaining popularity in Indian vegetable market too.
Its because of this that most of us are looking for vegetarian recipes using these exotic vegetables.
Zucchini, that comes in two colours, yellow and green, looks very much like our Ridge gourd and can be eaten raw like salad too. Out of many Zucchini recipes, this one is the easiest without involving any cooking.
Benefits of Zucchini
Zucchini is a powerhouse of nutrients.
- It is high in fiber and water with zero fat.
- Also, it is rich in vitamins (B6, C, and K) and minerals (potassium and manganese).
- It boosts energy, lowers blood sugar levels, improves digestion, improves eyesight and much more. You can read in detail about Zucchini here.
I have adapted this recipe from here and tweaked it as per my taste.
How to Slice Zucchini For Rolls
For making these salad rolls, I have taken both colours of Zucchini, green as well as yellow.
- Wash it properly, wipe it nicely and then slice it thinly. Slices need to be paper thin otherwise they will break while rolling them up.
- Now, slicing with a knife is a bit tedious job, So, use a peeler. Peeler works perfectly fine. While peeling take care that you cover a little of the skin portion also. This is because of two reasons. Firstly it gives a beautiful contrast which looks good and secondly it is somewhat sturdy and thus gives strength to the salad rolls.
How to Make Zesty Dip
Also, I have made a zesty dip with it which goes very well these rolls. This zesty dip is basically hung curd dip which is made by adding some herbs and lemon zest to hung curd. Hung curd is magical and every time I use it I can't stop raving about it. In case, you want to see how to make hung curd, please visit here.
My other recipes which you may find interesting are:
Step By Step recipe
A. Zesty Dip
- Take hung curd, mix all the ingredients mentioned under it. Whisk till smooth.
- Keep it covered in the refrigerator till use.
B. For Salad
- Wash all the veggies and pat dry. Peel beetroot. It's better not to peel the cucumber, though entirely up to you.
- Cut thin strips of all the veggies and keep aside. I have taken bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, beet, lettuce and radish
C. For Salad Rolls.
- Start peeling Zucchini, so that you have thin strips of it.
- Take two peels and keep them overlapping on each other. Use zesty dip to keep them in place. This is just to have a wider area as strips are very thin.
- Apply Zesty dip all over the strips.
- Keep veggie strips and start rolling.
- Dip applied will help in keeping the rolls intact and thus they will not open up easily.
- Serve with love and some zesty dip, mocktail optional.
Zucchini Salad recipes
Zesty Zucchini Salad Rolls are elegant to look at, easy to make, wonderful to serve, healthy to eat and a no-cook recipe. Its a recipe which proves the idiom, good things comes in small packages
For Zesty Dip
- 1/2 Cup Hung Curd
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning (Oregano, basil etc)
- 1 tsp Chopped Parsley
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Bell Pepper (Red)
- Bunch of Parsley
- Spring Onions
- 1/2 Beetroot
For Salad Rolls
- 1 Each Zucchini (Green and Yellow)
For Zesty Dip
Take hung curd, mix all the ingredients mentioned under it. Whisk till smooth.
Keep it covered in the refrigerator till uuse.
Wash all the veggies and pat dry. Peel beetroot. Better not to peel cucumber.
Cut thin strips of all the veggies and keep aside.
For Salad Rolls.
Start peeling Zucchini, so that you have thin strips of it.
Take two peels and keep them overlapping on each other. Use zesty dip to keep them in place. This is just to have a wider area as strips are very thin.
Apply Zesty dip all over the strips.
Keep veggie strips and start rolling.
Dip applied will help in keeping the rolls intact and thus they will not open up easily.
Serve with love and some zesty dip, mocktail optional.
- Use any veggies of your choice.
- Keep lemon in the freezer for an hour or two. This eases in taking out its zest. To take zest, then grate the lemon, only the yellow part, leaving behind the white part as it is very bitter.
- After cutting veggie strips keep them in ice cold water to prevent
- After making the roll, you may adjust the veggies in different lengths so that it looks like a bouquet.
- You can substitute zucchini with cucumber too.
- You can use hummus or cream cheese or mayonnaise or some salad dressing in place of zesty dip.