- 1 Summer Salads
- 2 How I Ended Up Liking Raw Mango Salad
- 3 Green Mango Recipes
- 4 How To Make Raw Mango Salad
- 5 Step by Step Recipe
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
- 7 Let's Connect!
- 8 Raw Mango Salad
Green Mango Salad or Raw Mango Salad recipe is an easy and healthy salad and is a must to have in summers. When temperatures soar, appetite drops, this highly refreshing, fibrous and nutritious salad is wonderful to have.
This salad is somewhat similar to Thai Papaya Salad, Som Tam but is much more tangy due to raw mangoes in it.
Here I am sharing 2 ways of making this summer salad, one is in julienne form which is similar to Thai Mango salad and the other is Kachumber form. Though we like both but prefer the kachumber form of mango salad as it gets ready in just 5 minutes.
Which one do you like more?
We prefer to have salads in summer as they are made easily without spending lot of time in the kitchen and secondly, it is better to eat something light when temperature is at peak. Our favourite salads are PASTA SALAD, RAW PAPAYA SALAD and TABBOULEH (Salad made with Bulgur wheat, Dalia).
And this Raw Mango salad is a new addition comparatively and I must tell you that it is highly refreshing.
How I Ended Up Liking Raw Mango Salad
Actually, I could never think of having raw mango in salad form. After all, it is so sour n tangy. But last year on my hubby's birthday when we went out for lunch, we ordered this Green Mango salad, on waiter;s recommendation.
When it was served, it looked very tempting and when we tasted it, it was like a gush of freshness swirling in our mouth... slightly tangy, slightly sweet, slightly spicy... a mixed array of flavours. It seemed one of the best things to have in summers. Obviously, after liking it so much the next step was to call the chef and ask about its recipe. The chef very humbly explained everything about it. The raw mango in the salad was paired with a similar-looking ingredient - avocado.
Later, I discovered its quite a popular salad in large parts of India and South Asia prepared with a lot of variations.
Benefits Of Raw Mangoes
I have applauded Green Mango Salad all for its taste and flavour but its benefits are even more praiseworthy. As Avacado is not yet very popular in India, I decided to substitute it with raw Papaya. The variation was equally awesome. Raw Papaya not only added volume to the salad but also balanced the tanginess of raw mangoes in equal measure. There is no compromise on taste either. A popular Gujrati variation is to use onion in place of papaya.
Raw mangoes are rich in anti-oxidants and vitamins. It protects us from the negative effects of hot winds (loo).
Similarly, raw papaya aids in weight loss, cures diabetes and is good for heart being rich in potassium.
Green Mango Recipes
As soon as the summers step in we start looking for cool n refreshing salads. Light on tummy, good for digestion, free of calories and above all doesn't involve any cooking. What else does one want?
If Mango is the king of fruits then raw/green mango too rules the veggies kingdom in its own way. Summers are incomplete without mangoes or raw mangoes. I make many things using raw mangoes, of which AAM PANNA and Keri ki Launji are the staple ones during the summers. And then at a later stage, just before monsoon, I make AAM Ka MURABBA, HING ka ACHAR and AAM AUR CHANE KA ACHAR too.
if you are fond of Golgappe then you must try JALJEERA made with raw mangoes. It's not only easy to make but is full of freshness too.
Similarly, if you end up making a lot of Aam Panna and feel bored of consuming it, then make KULFI out of it by doing slight additions.
How To Make Raw Mango Salad
The recipe for Green Mango Salad is actually very simple. It has 2 key ingredients... green mangoes and raw papaya. Rest of the veggies are added to give it a more colourful n appetising look. That you may add according to your preference and availability in your pantry.
The other variation is by cutting raw mangoes in very small pieces, given at the end. Do not miss that.
I make it by cutting juliennes of raw mango. .I make it by cutting juliennes of raw mango. .
And then comes the salad dressing. So, for the dressing also, it is honey or brown sugar along with seasonings. I prefer honey as it gives a very subtle taste. And yes, not to forget the crushed peanuts for that crunchy feeling.
How to Shred Raw Mangoes for this Salad?
For making this salad, though you need julienne but you shouldn't grate it. If you have a thick grater then its fine otherwise, peel raw mangoes, make lot of vertical slits in it and then scrape thinly. Again put vertical cuts and repeat. Continue repeating from all the sides till you are left with the seed. This gives wonderful shreds. Same is done for papaya.
Alternatively, you can thinly slice these greens and then cut long strips. Whichever way suits you more follow that.
Step by Step Recipe
A. Julienne Style (like in Thai Mango Salad)
- Wash and pat dry all the veggies.
- Peel raw mangoes, raw papaya and carrot.
- Make a lot of slits with a knife in the raw mango.
- Similarly shred raw papaya, carrot, capsicum, tomato and ginger too. You may use a chopper or any other way of shredding but it should look like in the photo below.
- Add honey, oil, salt, pepper and cilantro
- Toss everything. Chill in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Add peanuts at the time of serving. Peanuts render an excellent taste and crunch to the salad, so do not skip it.
- Serve with love.
B. Kachumber Style
- Same as julienne style salad except that raw papaya and oil are not added in this variation.
- Chop raw mangoes in very small pieces in kachumber style. I prefer doing it in the food processor.
- Add other veggies like peppers, capsicum, (though optional) chopped in kachumber style only. Or, put everything together in the food processor.
- Process for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Add honey, salt, fresh mint and coriander and toss well.
- Add roasted and crushed peanuts at the time of serving.
- I am sure you will love this easy peasy Kachchi Keri ka kachumber style salad.
- Serve with love.
Do not throw the seeds of green mangoes.
- Use them for cleaning your cast iron griddle or wok (tawa or kadhai). For this, put these pits along with some water on the griddle and leave overnight. In the morning, lightly rub these and you will have a sparkling griddle.
- Or, put these in the pressure cooker along with some water. Due to continuous usage, pressure cookers are tarnished from inside, especially aluminium ones. When you boil these seeds in it, just one whistle, then the sourness of mangoes will work better than any detergent and you will have brand new pressure cooker.
Similarly, you can use LEMON PEELS too in various ways.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q) What should be the ratio of raw mangoes and green papaya?
- As for the ratio of green mangoes and green papaya, there is no fixed rule. Use it as per your preference. I have taken these two in the ratio of 60:40, that is more of green mango and little less of green papaya.
- Addition of capsicum, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini etc is entirely optional.
- But I will strongly recommend adding little ginger to it. It too adds to the taste in its own way.
I hope you have liked these easy ways of making Raw Mango Salad and will surely try it out for your loved ones. Do let me know, which one you liked more. Also, try out the tips.
I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Quora too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Raw Mango Salad
Sweet-spicy-tangy salad for summers
- 250 g Raw Mangoes (Keri or Ambi)
- 150 g Raw Papaya
- 1/4 Piece Capsicum
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Julienne
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Peanut
Wash and pat dry all the veggies.
Peel green mangoes, raw papaya and carrot.
Shred all the veggies... green mangoes, raw papaya, carrot, capsicum, tomato and ginger.
Add honey, oil, salt, pepper and cilantro.
Toss everything. Chill in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
At the time of serving, mix in some roasted and crushed peanuts. Serve with love.
Chop raw mangoes in very small pieces in kachumber style. I prefer doing it in the food processor.
Add very little of other veggies like capsicum, peppers etc, chopped in kachumber style only. Avoid raw papaya in this variation.
Add honey, salt, green coriander, mint and toss well.
Add roasted and crushed peanuts at the time of serving.
Serve with love.
- Adjust the number of raw mangoes and green papaya as per your liking.
- Adjust the quantity of honey depending on the sourness of raw mangoes.
- You may use avocado in addition to or in replacement of raw papaya.
- You may add crushed garlic to it.
- In kachumber style salad, raw papaya will not be added.
Stay Safe… Stay Happy