- 1 How to Make
- 2 Step By Step Recipe
- 3 FAQs
- 5 Zebra Cake Collection
- 6 Some other Easy Cake Recipes
- 7 NEW TO THE WORLD OF BAKING?
- 8 LET’S CONNECT
- 9 Eggless Zebra Cake Recipe
- 10 Testimonials
This eggless Zebra Cake recipe is the perfect teatime cake that is beautiful to look at, healthy to eat and easy to make.
This cake has all the healthy ingredients except white sugar. I chose white sugar so as to keep the white color intact having a clear-cut zebra pattern. You can very well replace it with brown sugar or jaggery powder but then it will be simply chocolate cake only.
The Zebra Cake recipe is more or less the same as my earlier cakes. I made this for my son Shivang's friend who liked my Malai cake a lot. But since I didn't have enough stored malai in my refrigerator so I made this one and was equally liked by him. In fact, the pattern came out better because of white sugar. You can use Boora sugar or any other sugar as well.
How to Make
For making a zebra cake pattern, we need two cake batters simultaneously. So, we first make the vanilla batter and then mix cocoa powder in half of it so that we have 2 batters of different colors.
I have tried this pattern with yellow and brown color in my Mango Chocolate ake and I named it Tiger Cake :)-
Thereafter, we put one ladle of any one color, and on the same, we put another ladle of another color. This process continues till the batters are finished. As the batters are of flowing consistency, so they spread on their own making way for the other color.
Thereafter it is baked and we have beautiful zebra patterned cake.
Step By Step Recipe
- Grease a 6" cake pan, preferably rectangular.
- Start Preheating oven at 180 degrees. Preheat it for 15 minutes and in the meantime, your batter will get ready.
- Sift the dry ingredients, namely, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt at least thrice. Sifting not only removes impurities but incorporates air in the flour which in turn makes the cake light.
- Take thick curd, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract (or essence) in a bowl and whisk for 3 to 4 minutes till sugar dissolves and everything comes together.
Tip: Beating at this stage creates air bubbles that expand while baking and makes the cake soft.
- Add flour mixture in the curd mix in 2 to 3 installments. After each addition, lightly mix using the cut n fold method.
- If the cake batter is too thick then adjust the consistency by adding little milk. The quantity of milk will depend upon the consistency of curd used. The batter should be of ribbon consistency, which means that when you lift the batter with a spoon, it falls like a ribbon.
- Now, divide the batter equally into 2 bowls. In one bowl, add cocoa powder and mix lightly. Add little milk, if need be. So, now in one bowl, it's vanilla batter and chocolate batter in the other.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon vinegar in each bowl and give it a quick mix.
- Start pouring the two cake batters alternatively. First, put a ladle full of white batter. Then in the center of this white batter put a ladle of cocoa batter. As you put the above layer the bottom layer will itself start spreading. On this put the white layer. Similarly, keep on putting the alternate layers till both the batter gets used up. And you will see beautiful white and brown layers.
- Now, you can keep it in the oven as it is or may make the flower pattern. To make the flower pattern, take a toothpick and slide it lightly from one corner to the middle. Similarly, draw lines from different corners towards the middle. And your flower pattern is ready. Take care that the toothpick remains on the upper surface only. Do not try to take it deep till the bottom else inner layers will get mixed up.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While baking, take care that only the bottom rod is on and the top rod is off only. Preheat with both the rods on and then while baking switch off the top rod. This is done to prevent cracking of the cake from the top. Do this and you will have a perfectly baked cake with an even top.
- Keep it on a wire rack till completely cool. This is done so that the cake does not get soggy from the bottom because of heat.
- When completely cool, cut slices.
- You can make this in disposable baking pans also if want to gift it to somebody. Or, take a platter, arrange slices and pack with cling film.
Q) Can I make this cake in a cooker?
Yes. After making the flower pattern, keep the baking pan in a preheated pressure cooker. For complete details regarding this, you may check my post, Basic Eggless Cake in Pressure Cooker.
Q) What variations I can try in this recipe?
- You can make this cake with all-purpose flour as well or half each of both the flours. In that case, reduce the milk quantity as all-purpose flour absorbs less liquid.
- You can make this cake either plain vanilla or just chocolate one. For vanilla, omit the cocoa powder and once the batter gets ready, mix vinegar and put it in the oven. For chocolate flavor, add cocoa powder at the sifting stage only and proceed thereafter.
Q) For how long can I store this cake?
That depends on the weather. During summers, keep it at room temperature just for a day and thereafter for upto 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator. During winters, it will stay good at room temperature only for up to 4 to 5 days.
Q) Why do we add vinegar or lemon juice to the batter?
The acid in vinegar or lemon juice reacts with the baking soda and thus helps in making the cake soft and spongy.
Zebra Cake Collection
Though not intended, but somehowMalai Zebra Cake I have a collection of zebra cakes now 🙂
- Malai Zebra Cake (This cake has neither oil nor butter)
- Mango Chocolate Zebra Cake (Actually, a Tiger cake)
- And the one you are reading.
Some other Easy Cake Recipes
NEW TO THE WORLD OF BAKING?
I hope you have liked this Zebra cake recipe and will definitely give it a try.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram(#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you
Eggless Zebra Cake Recipe
A beautiful twin flavored cake
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Cup Curd
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Vinegar (or Lemon Juice)
Grease a 6" baking tin, preferably rectangular.
Start Preheating oven at 180 degrees C. Preheat it for 15 minutes and in the meantime, your batter will get ready.
Sift wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least thrice for better aeration.
Take thick curd, oil, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl and whisk for 3 to 4 minutes till sugar dissolves and everything comes together
Add flour mixture in the curd mix in 2 to 3 instalments. After each addition, lightly mix using cut n fold method.
If the batter is too thick then adjust consistency by adding little milk. The batter should be of ribbon consistency
Now, divide the batter equally in 2 bowls.
In one bowl, add cocoa powder and mix lightly. Add little milk, if need be.
Add 1/4 teaspoon vinegar in each bowl and give it a quick mix.
Start putting the two batters alternatively. First, put a ladle full of vanilla batter. Then in the centre of this white batter put a ladle of chocolate batter. As you put the above layer the bottom layer will itself start spreading. On this put the white layer. Similarly, keep on putting the alternate layers till both the batter gets used up. And you will see beautiful white and brown layers
To make the flower pattern, take a toothpick and slide it lightly from one corner to the middle. Similarly, draw lines from different corners towards the middle.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or till toothpick inserted comes out clean.
After 10 minutes, loosen the sides of the cake using a butter knife and invert the cake on a wire rack.
When cool, cut n enjoy.
- You can make this with all-purpose flour or a mix of two flours. In that case, everything will remain the same except the quantity of milk. All-purpose flour absorbs less milk.
- Use any oil be it refined or groundnut or olive or any other.
- If your curd is loose then keep it in a strainer for a few minutes. Also, use curd at room temperature and not directly from the refrigerator.
By Kajal Jhaveri