This Vegetable Vermicelli Upma recipe is an easy, healthy, and quick recipe, perfect to have in breakfast.
The Semiya Upma recipe that I am sharing today is made with roasted Semiya and is more like a Pulao and has North Indian touch to it rather than the South Indian style.
As you know, Semiya is a very versatile ingredient and is used equally in sweet as well as savory dishes. I am sure your kids, as well as your other family members, will like this savory version.
Vegetable Vermicelli is one of my favorite breakfasts. I love vermicelli but only when it is loaded with veggies especially peas. No peas mean no vermicelli Upma for me. Peas render a very different and good taste to these vermicelli.
Long back, my grandmother used to make it at home by rubbing kneaded all-purpose flour between thumb and fingers. What amazing speed she had and all used to be more or less of the same size. Those were then stored in airtight containers and made often. However, nowadays, we buy it from the market only.
Vegetable Vermicelli is being made in our house for ages but my dear hubby never had a liking for it so always made it in his absence. But one day, after having it at his aunt's place he developed a liking for it. No doubt, she had made it very nicely. Even I liked her preparation very much. Her vermicelli had a bright red color to it as if lots of red chilies had been added. But no, they were not spicy. Then?
Then, as usual, I asked her and the secret ingredient was tomatoes. Like, prior to that I never added tomatoes in my vermicelli. But such a distinctive difference in taste. Also, she made it in a pressure cooker just like Rice Pulao. Just 2 whistles and it's done. Thereafter, I have been following her recipe only and now it gets on our dining table at least once a week.
Tips For Perfect Outcome
- Roast vermicelli nicely to a bright golden color. Though roasted vermicelli is easily available in the market. But you won't believe that I roast it again to get a dark color. Roasted heavily not only adds to the color but makes a huge difference in the taste too.
- For tempering, use caraway seeds (ajwain). Vermicelli made in caraway seeds has an altogether different taste than the ones made with cumin seeds or mustard seeds.
- Add lots of veggies, especially peas. I store peas in the freezer, especially for this vermicelli.
- Take water and vermicelli in equal quantity. Like 1 cup water for 1 cup vermicelli
- Add tomato puree. You don't have to saute this puree, just add it.
Step By Step Recipe
- Roast Vermicelli to bright golden color. Though you can dry roast also but roasting with 1/2 tsp ghee gives an excellent taste.
- Chop veggies, potato, and carrots, into small and thin pieces. Shell peas.
- Puree tomatoes in the blender.
- Now, keep a pan pressure cooker on the gas stove.
- Add one tablespoon of oil. Add caraway seeds. As soon as they splutter add veggies, roasted vermicelli, water, tomato puree, and all the spices. Yes, all in one go only.
- Close the lid and cook it on medium-high flame. Wait for 2 whistles. Switch off the gas stove. After 2 to 3 minutes, release the pressure manually.
- Vegetable Vermicelli Upma is ready.
Vegetable Vermicelli Recipe
An easy, healthy and wholesome breakfast, and when made in the pressure cooker, then a very quick one also.
My Cup measures 240 ml
- 1 Cup Vermicelli (Semiya)
- 2 Cups Veggies (Potatoes, Peas and carrots)
- 1/2 tsp Caraway Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Or as per taste Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Ghee (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
Roast Vermicelli to bright golden colour. Though you can dry roast also but roasting with 1/2 tsp ghee gives an excellent taste.
Chop veggies, potato and carrots, in small and thin pieces. Shell peas.
Puree tomatoes in the blender.
Now, keep a pan pressure cooker on the gas stove.
Add one tablespoon oil. Add caraway seeds. As soon as they splutter add veggies, roasted vermicelli, water, tomato puree and all the spices. Yes, all in one go only.
Close the lid and cook it on medium-high flame. Wait for 2 whistles. Switch off the gas stove. After 2 to 3 minutes, release the pressure manually.
Vegetable Vermicelli is ready. Serve with love, coffee optional.
- You may use any cup for measurement. Remember the ratio, that is add the same quantity of water as vermicelli. Adjust spices as per your taste then.