This Vegetable Vermicelli Upma recipe is an easy, healthy, and quick recipe, perfect to have in breakfast.
The Semiya Upma recipe that I am sharing today is made with roasted Semiya and is more like a Pulao and has North Indian touch to it rather than the South Indian style.
As you know, Semiya is a very versatile ingredient and is used equally in sweet as well as savory dishes. I am sure your kids, as well as your other family members, will like this savory version.
Vegetable Vermicelli is one of my favorite breakfasts. I love vermicelli but only when it is loaded with veggies especially peas. No peas mean no vermicelli Upma for me. Peas render a very different and good taste to these vermicelli.
Vegetable Vermicelli is being made in our house for ages but my dear hubby never had a liking for it so always made it in his absence. But one day, after having it at his aunt’s place he developed a liking for it. No doubt, she had made it very nicely. Even I liked her preparation very much. Her vermicelli had a bright red color to it as if lots of red chilies had been added. But no, they were not spicy. Then?
Then, as usual, I asked her and the secret ingredient was tomatoes. Like, prior to that I never added tomatoes in my vermicelli. But such a distinctive difference in taste. Also, she made it in a pressure cooker just like Rice Pulao. Just 2 whistles and it’s done. Thereafter, I have been following her recipe only and now it gets on our dining table at least once a week.
Tips For Perfect Outcome
- Roast vermicelli nicely to a bright golden color. Though roasted vermicelli is easily available in the market. But you won’t believe that I roast it again to get a dark color. Roasted heavily not only adds to the color but makes a huge difference in the taste too.
- For tempering, use caraway seeds (ajwain). Vermicelli made in caraway seeds has an altogether different taste than the ones made with cumin seeds or mustard seeds.
- Add lots of veggies, especially peas. I store peas in the freezer, especially for this vermicelli.
- Take water and vermicelli in equal quantity. Like 1 cup water for 1 cup vermicelli
- Add tomato puree. You don’t have to saute this puree, just add it.
Step By Step Recipe
- Roast Vermicelli to bright golden color. Though you can dry roast also but roasting with 1/2 tsp ghee gives an excellent taste.
- Chop veggies, potato, and carrots, into small and thin pieces. Shell peas.
- Puree tomatoes in the blender.
- Now, keep a pan pressure cooker on the gas stove.
- Add one tablespoon of oil. Add caraway seeds. As soon as they splutter add veggies, roasted vermicelli, water, tomato puree, and all the spices. Yes, all in one go only.
- Close the lid and cook it on medium-high flame. Wait for 2 whistles. Switch off the gas stove. After 2 to 3 minutes, release the pressure manually.
- Vegetable Vermicelli Upma is ready.
How innovative Samira! I would never have thought to do that with Vermicelli! We usually have it sweet.
Thank you so much Noor. Try this savoury version too, you will love it.
wow I never knew vermicelli can be made in cooker too, guess what even i had packed vermicelli with varkey and veggie warp in V tiffin today.
Try it, it is tastier as well quicker that way. With V be the letter of the day, excellent menu for tiffin😊👍