- 1 Why Store Peas
- 2 How To Store Peas in the Freezer?
- 3 How to Use Frozen Peas
- 4 How long can I store peas like this?
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Related Recipes
- 7 LET’S CONNECT
Sharing with you an easy and foolproof method of storing fresh peas for summers. I have been using this method for the past many years and is a hit.
My method of storing peas involves 3 basic steps:
Peel----- Pack----- Freeze
Winters and peas go hand in hand. Think of winters and the very first veggie that pops up in our minds is peas.
Why Store Peas
- Though peas are now available around the year but the quality that is there in winters is unbeatable.
- Apart from this, there is a huge difference in the prices too. In winters, we get the best peas at a dirt-cheap price whereas in summers, even the not-so-good peas also at exorbitant prices.
So, how about storing peas in winters and avail the tasty benefits in summers?
How To Store Peas in the Freezer?
Here, I share with you the simplest and most effective method of storing peas. I, myself have been using this method for years now. Foolproof method.
- Buy peas, peel them, pack in ziplock bags and freeze them in your refrigerator. That's it. Neither wash nor boil.
- You can store peas in any ziplock bag or poly bag or airtight container, be it steel or plastic. But I don't prefer containers simply because they take up more space. It is advisable to freeze small packets so that one packet is consumed fully in 2-3 times only.
How to Use Frozen Peas
- Whenever you feel like using them, just take out one bag, wash it under running water, and use as desired.
- Do not thaw the entire quantity. Take out as much as required and refreeze the remaining peas.
- So the washing part is also done but at a later stage.
How long can I store peas like this?
- Peas stored in this method remain good easily for a year.
- Make sure that you have an uninterrupted power supply. In case of power failure for more than 2-3 hours, don't forget to parcel your frozen peas to your friend/ relative/ neighbour's place.
Q) Don't I have to boil these before storing in the freezer?
No. If you boil these then you need to dry these properly as moisture may ruin the peas when stored for a long time. But why take these extra steps of boiling and drying, when you can store them perfectly without that.
Q) Don't I have to wash the peas in freshwater before storing in the freezer?
No. Do not rinse the peas in water. Simply, peel and store.
Q) How can I use peas without rinsing in water?
After taking them out of the freezer, we put them in the freshwater first. So, like this, they get rinsed too.
I hope you have liked this method of storing peas in the freezer and will surely try it out. I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!