Making delicious and healthy Poha Namkeen is a quick recipe as it gets ready in just 10 minutes. And the best thing is that it is roasted.
So, next time you have guests, by the time you prepare tea/coffee, your snack item will also be ready.
Call it Poha Namkeen or Chiwda Namkeen or diet mixture or by any other name. One thing remains common that this crispy-crunchy-light weight-zero calorie mixture is loved by all. Have it with tea, without tea or for any time munching it always tickle our taste buds. You just can’t stop easily after having even little. Weight watchers love it as it has zero calories…
It is a common breakfast item and is equally preferred for the late afternoon snack or anytime munching.
No matter how much I make it, it gets finished in a jiffy. Everybody loves it. Especially if you start eating it while watching TV then all you get back is the empty container.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Poha or say flattened rice or rice flakes is really helpful in maintaining ideal weight.
- It is fat-free, gluten-free and is lactose-free too. Thus it is very good for those who are allergic to wheat.
- It is easy to digest and is thus advised if the tummy is upset.
How To Make
- For this recipe, you can use either thick or thin Poha. It’s just that thicker one takes a little more time in getting roasted. Along with roasted Poha, I like to add roasted chana, peanuts and some crushed papad. Papad gives a little spicy taste to this Namkeen. You can even add corn flakes to it.
- Now as everything is dry than how to mix salt and spices in it? There are 2 methods for this.
- First is, heat little oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole red chillies in it. Sprinkle salt and chat masala on the dry mix of Poha, put oil and toss nicely.
- The other is that you first sprinkle water on the dry mix then sprinkle salt and chat masala and toss everything. With the help of water, spices will be mixed nicely in the mixture. Toss using 2 spoons nicely. And your diet mixture is ready. I usually follow the second method, that is with water.
- Sometimes, I add lemon juice also and that too gives a very good taste.
Step By Step Recipe
- Keep Poha in a bowl in the air fryer.
- Or, wrap it in butter paper and then keep it in the air fryer basket.
- Check after 3-4 minutes.
- The white Poha will change colour slightly. You can even take one piece and press it between your fingers. If cracks easily then done otherwise air fry it a little more.
- When done, take it out in a bowl. Then air fry peanuts for just 2 minutes. I use Phillips Air Fryer for this purpose.
- In the bowl, take roasted Poha, roasted peanuts, roasted chana (store-bought), roasted & crushed papad and dried curry leaves.
- Mix everything. Put salt and chat masala.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole red/green chillies and put it over the Poha mixture.
- Serve or store in an airtight container.
Q) Which Poha is used in this recipe?
Poha comes in 2 varieties, thick and thin. Though thick one is ideal for frying. For roasting, you can use either thick or thin. It’s just that thicker one takes a little more time in getting roasted.
Q) How can I make it without an air fryer?
You can always make it in kadhai especially if making it in bulk. I have made it in a kadhai (wok) too. That too was simple except that it took some time plus flipping it off and on.
Q) How to roast Poha in air fryer?
- For air frying, take Poha in a bowl.
- You can even keep it on aluminium foil or butter paper or tissue paper.
- Preheat the air fryer for 2 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Place the butter paper with Poha in the air fryer basket.
Q) What is the benefit of making it in an air fryer?
- But since I have started making this in air fryer life is all the more easy n simple. It takes just 10 minutes, including roasting peanuts, and my Poha Namkeen gets ready. Actually, my husband takes this snack with him for munching on his way back from the office. So, now, in the morning, while I prepare his lunch, side by side I prepare this Namkeen also.
- Poha gets roasted in 3 to 4 minutes, peanuts in just 2 minutes and my Namkeen gets ready in 10 minutes. All thanks to the air fryer.
Some other easy and quick snacks Recipes
Hope you like this easy n simple recipe of making PohaNamkeen and will definitely give it a try.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram for the latest recipe updates. Thank you!
- 100 g Poha
- 25 g Peanuts
- 25 g Roasted Chana
- 1 Tbsp Curry Leaves Dried
- 2 pc Papad roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- Preheat the air fryer for 2 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Take Poha in a bowl or parchment paper or aluminium foil and keep it in the basket of the air fryer. Keep the paper or foil in such a way that the basket is not fully covered and there is space for the hot air to move freely. See the pic above for reference.
- Air fry Poha for 4 to 5 minutes depending upon how crunchy you like.
- Once done, take out the Poha in a bowl.
- Now, add peanuts in the Air Fryer No need for any foil or paper now. This is because peanuts can easily stay on the basket.
- Air fry for just 2 minutes. They get roasted very fast so take care.
- In the bowl, mix everything that is roasted Poha, roasted peanuts, crushed papad and roasted chana. You can add cornflakes and coconut pieces if desired.
- Sprinkle salt and chat masala.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and whole red chillies.
- Put this oil on Poha mixture.
- Toss nicely using 2 spoons or with light hands.
- Store in an airtight container.
- The time of roasting Poha may vary slightly depending upon the air fryer. So, keep a watch on it and adjust time accordingly.
- Adjust the quantity of all the ingredients as per your preference.
- You can make it in a kadhai (wok) as well if wishing to make it in bulk. The process remains exactly the same.
PS: This post has embedded affiliate marketing links which enable me to earn a small commission on any purchase made by a buyer from this site. The commission is used by me for maintaining and running of this site with no extra cost to the buyer.