- 1 A Healthy Substitute To Dahi Vada
- 2 Benefits of Makhana
- 3 Guilt-free Makhana Chaat For Weight Loss
- 4 Navratri Recipe
- 5 Why You Will Love This recipe
- 6 How To Roast Makhana In Air Fryer
- 7 How To Make Makhana Chaat
- 8 Step By Step Recipe
- 9 FAQs
- 10 Let's Connect!
- 11 Makhana Chaat
Makhana Chaat |Roasted Makhana Chaat | Makhana Dahi Chaat is one of the healthiest, easiest, quickest and yummiest Chaat till date! An excellent alternative for Dahi vadas.
This Healthy Makhana Chaat is oil-free as the Makhanas are roasted in the air fryer.
Just like Dalgona Coffee cake, even Makhana Chaat is trending in 2020.
It is as good as a fireless recipe except for roasting the Makhanas. And that too, I roast in my air fryer.
No words of praise are sufficient for this yummy and healthy recipe and is therefore it is now our go-to chat.
It is a wonderful starter and my guests have always loved it whenever I have served it to them. They just can't believe that Makhanas can be eaten in this form too. And the fact that it gets ready in no time along with having that novelty value makes it my favourite too.
Well, if you have a sweet tooth, then do check my Makhana Kheer recipe which is made using Rock Sugar (Dhaga Mishri). Also, sweet Makhana Panjiri, made on Janamashtami can not be missed at all! Though it is made with refined sugar but as it is an annual affair so I don't mind.
A Healthy Substitute To Dahi Vada
Dahi Vadas are an all-time favourite and people of all age groups relish it equally. It can be rated as the star dish which shines amongst all other food items. No festival or get together is complete without this sumptuous dish.
But the fact that Dahi Vadas are fried and are a labour of love involving time as well as skill, many people find it difficult to make and thus either get it from the market or just forego it.
So, for all those who do not want to enter into the tedious task of making regular Dahi Vadas, along with this Makhana Chat, I have two other similar recipes, namely:
Benefits of Makhana
- Makhana or Phool Makhana is actually a superfood and is good for one and all. Be it hypertension or diabetes or weight issues, it is recommended in all.
- Low in sodium and high in potassium, thus good for people suffering from high blood pressure.
- Rich in calcium and iron thus good for all especially children and pregnant women.
- Low in sugar thus good for diabetics.
- Low in calories and also keep the tummy full for a longer period, thus aids in weight loss.
- Rich in fibre. You can read more detailed benefits here.
Guilt-free Makhana Chaat For Weight Loss
As seen above, foxnuts or makhana are a storehouse of nutrition, especially, calorie-free, and everybody wants to have it in some form or the other. Roasted Makhanas are loved by all. You can even include roasted Makhanas in your Falahari Namkeen, again which is made in air fryer only.
Roasted Makhana Dahi Chaat is guilt-free in terms of calories as well as time. Just put the makhanas in the air fryer for 5 minutes and crispy Makhanas are ready. No need to even brush oil also.
And the roasted Makhanas are then tossed in whipped curd and that's it! No oil, no cooking, no hours of preparation, no sweating, nothing.
Because of this reason, this Makhana chat is excellent for weight watchers too. They can have it without carrying any guilt.
Why You Will Love This recipe
- Easy and quick to make.
- Perfect healthy snack.
- Can be served as Chaat or as a side dish with meals.
- Attractive in looks.
- Sumptuous in taste.
- Perfect to have as an evening snack.
How To Roast Makhana In Air Fryer
Makhanas can be easily and quickly roasted in the air fryer. I used to roast them in microwave earlier but now only in air fryer.
To roast Makhanas in the air fryer, just put a handful of Makhanas in the air fryer basket and run it for 7 to 8 minutes at 200 degrees. No oil, no preheating, no pan, no parchment paper/aluminium foil is required. You may preheat the air fryer, then it will take slightly less time. Basically, time will differ, but you can use as you want.
When you close the basket, then these Makhanas will play football in the basket. Yes, as these are very light so they will literally jump but no worries. Unlike Popcorn, these will not stick on the roof of the air fryer. They will remain in the basket only.
Tip: In case, you wish to check whether Makhanas are roasted or not, then turn off the air fryer before opening otherwise, jumping Makhanas will find a basket anywhere in your kitchen and you will be collecting them from all over.
How To Make Makhana Chaat
Making Makhana Chat is literally child's play. You can roast Makhanas a day or two in advance or roast them at the time of serving only. Smoothen curd using a whisk. Add salt, roasted cumin powder in the curd and keep it in the refrigerator.
At the time of serving, just toss the roasted makhanas in the curd and serve. You can top it with green chutney and meethi chutney (Saunth) too or just use some pomegranate pearls and green coriander.
Tip: Take care to add roasted makhanas to the curd at the time of serving only otherwise Makhanas will get soggy.
Step By Step Recipe
- Firstly, roast Makhanas. You can roast these either in a wok or microwave oven or otg or air fryer. For roasting in the air fryer, put the makhanas in the air fryer basket and roast these for 5 to 6 minutes at 200 degrees. No need of brushing oil on the Makhanas.
- While roasting, these will jump in the air fryer but nothing to worry.
- In the meantime, whisk curd so that you have smooth curd.
- Add little milk if the curd is too thick.
- Add salt and cumin powder to the whisked curd and keep it aside.
- When the Makhanas are roasted well, take them out and let them cool slightly. Ensure that the makhanas are crunchy. You may check that crushing one makhana with your fingers. If crisp and crunchy then it will break with a snap.
- Toss the roasted makhanas in the whisked curd.
- Take out in serving bowls, sprinkle pomegranate pearls and bell peppers. You can use meethi chutney and green chutney too.
- Sprinkle some nylon sev.
- Serve with love.
Shahi Makhana Chaat:
Along with chutneys sprinkle some roasted and chopped nuts, like almonds, cashews and raisins etc and your Shahi Makhana Chaat is ready.
Q) How to Roast Makhana In Microwave Oven?
Roasting Makhana in the microwave is quite easy and quick too and is exactly like we roast Cashews. Just put the Makhanas in a glass bowl and put it in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes, tossing after every one minute. It is necessary that after every one minute you take out the Makhanas from the microwave, toss and then again keep it for one minute.
Q) Can I Make-Ahead this recipe?
- Unfortunately No!. It is to be made at the time of serving only. But you can do all the preparations beforehand and then making this chaat will hardly take any time.
- Like roast the makhanas. Whisk the curd and keep it in the refrigerator till use. Similarly, make both the chutneys, chop the bell peppers, deseed the pomegranate. Keep everything in the refrigerator except the roasted makhanas.
- Then making this Chaat will be a 2-minute job. If making for a big gathering then make this chaat in a big bowl.
I hope you have liked this recipe for Healthy Makhana Chaat and will surely try it out for your loved ones. I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecidiary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
(This recipe is more of a method rather than the actual recipe. Use the quantity of ingredients as per your taste and convenience)
An easy and healthy substitute to regular Dahi Vada.
- 1 Cup or 25 or 20 g Makhanas Foxnuts
- 1 Cup Curd
- 1/2 tsp Salt Or As Per Taste
- 1/4 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- Few Pomegranate Pearls (Optional)
- Coloured Bell Peppers, Chopped Finely (Optional)
Firstly, roast Makhanas. You can roast these either in a wok or microwave oven or otg or air fryer. For roasting in the air fryer, put the makhanas in the air fryer basket and roast these for 5 to 6 minutes at 200 degrees.
While roasting, these will jump in the air fryer but nothing to worry.
In the meantime, whisk curd so that you have smooth curd.
Add little milk if the curd is too thick.
Add salt and cumin powder to the whipped curd and keep it aside.
Toss the roasted makhanas in the whisked curd.
Take out in serving bowls, sprinkle pomegranate pearls and bell peppers. You can use meethi chutney and green chutney too.
Serve with love.
You may PIN this Makhana Chaat Recipe to save and try later: