- 1 Green Chutney As A Dressing
- 2 How To Make
- 3 Why You Will Love This Recipe
- 4 Step By Step Recipes
- 5 Related Recipes:
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Let's Connect
- 8 Mixed Millet Salad
- 9 Testimonials
Mixed Millet Salad With Green Chutney Dressing is a healthy and spicy salad with Indian flavours. It's a simple salad that gets ready in a jiffy provided you have coriander-mint chutney with you.
This salad is made with boiled millet. You can boil the millet and keep it in your refrigerator as they keep good for 3 to 4 days easily.
Though all millets are superfoods but each of these has its own positives as well. Like Ragi is rich in calcium and iron, Barnyard millet is fibre rich, Proso and Foxtail are protein-rich and so on. So, I just thought of mixing all these millets in my salad. And this time for dressing also, instead of using olive oil or vinegar, I kept it simple by adding some basic veggies like tomato and cucumber into the boiled millets and then tossing everything in green chutney. And the result was awesome. It was a hit and everybody said that I should make it often.
Green Chutney As A Dressing
When it comes to salad, I prefer light dressings as compared to creamy dressings. I have shared so many salads by now and none of them has a creamy dressing. Be it soup or salad, we prefer a light one only.
So, when I was making this salad, suddenly it reminded me of a salad I had at my mom's place a few months back. It was a different salad, but my sister-in-law, Tripti, had used green chutney as the dressing. I had liked it a lot and really wanted to use it sometime. So, when I made this millet salad, I tried the same dressing and the result was excellent. After all, green chutney has all the spices in it and is tangy as well. Also, its there in the refrigerator most of the time so why not use it as it is?
How To Make
- To make this millet salad, I took 5 types of millets namely, Finger millet (Ragi), Barnyard millet (Sama), Little Millet (Kutki), Kodo (Kodon) and Foxtail millet (Kangni), all in equal quantity. There's nothing specific in this. I just chose randomly from the millets lying in my pantry. You can take it as it is or just one or two or maybe more than five millets. Basically, anything that you wish to have.
- Then the next step is to wash them thoroughly by changing water several times as these really have a lot of dirt. Once the water gets clean, soak these millets for a minimum of four hours. You can always soak for 6 to 7 hours too. Once soaked, the millets get double in volume. Like, I took just 1/2 cup millet and after soaking they were 1 cup full. After soaking, of course, the next step is to boil them.
- And once boiled, add whatever veggies are there in your pantry, like cucumber, tomatoes, capsicum, onion, bell peppers etc. As you know that I like to add one fruit to my salad as it gives a very subtle sweetness to the salad. So, I added pomegranate pearls. This not only enhances the looks but also works wonders in its taste. I simply added green chutney to this and my salad got ready. Lastly, at the time of serving added some roasted peanuts.
- Well, if you do not have green chutney handy, then you can add chat masala along with salt and pepper.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy and Quick To Make
- An altogether Different Dressing
- Made With 5 Different kinds of Millets
- Spicy And Tangy
- Has Indian Flavours
Step By Step Recipes
A. For The Salad
- Take 1/2 cup millets of your choice. I took 2tbsp each of Ragi, Barnyard, Little, Kodo and Foxtail.
- Wash these thoroughly by changing water several times as there is lot of dirt in it.
- Once the water gets clean, soak it for 3 to 4 hours.
- After about 4 hours, drain the water and boil millets.
- For this, put the soaked millets in the pressure cooker along with 1 cup water and cook for 2 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the pressure settle down fully.
- Open the pressure cooker and fluff the boiled millets.
- You can keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days easily.
- For making the salad, let the boiled millets cool down completely first.
- Once cooled, add chopped tomato, cucumber, peppers etc and green chutney to it.
- Toss everything. Add some pomegranate pearls as this really enhances the taste as well as the looks of the salad.
- Adjust seasoning if need be.
- At the time of serving, add roasted and crushed peanuts.
- Serve with love, lemon coriander soup optional.
B. For Green Chutney
- Take all the ingredients in the grinder and make a fine paste.
Q) How to boil millet?
- Soak millet for 4 to 6 hours.
- Boil these in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle.
- I take millet and water in equal quantities. Like 1 cup water for 1 cup millet.
- Once the whistle blows, turn off the flame.
- Let the steam escape fully.Open the cooker ad your fluffy millets are ready.
Q) Can I make this salad using only one millet?
- Yes, you can make it with one or two or multiple millets, as per your liking and convenience.
Q) Any substitute or green chutney?
Simply add chat masala along with salt and pepper.
Thank you for reading this post. I hope you have liked this easy and healthy recipe of Mixed Millet Salad and will surely try it out for your loved ones.If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram(#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Mixed Millet Salad
My Cup Measures 240 ml
For The Salad
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Millets
- 1 Cup Mixed Veggies (Cucumber, Tomato, Peppers, Onions etc)
- 3 to 4 Tbsp Green Chutney
- 1/4 Cup Roasted & Crushed Peanuts
- 1/4 Cup Pomegranate Pearls
For Green Chutney
- 1/2 Cup Green Coriander
- 1/4 Cup Mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Rock Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Pinch Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Dried Mango Powder (Amchoor) Or Lemon Juice
- 2 Green Chillies
For The Salad
Take 1/2 cup millets of your choice. I took 2tbsp each of Ragi, Barnyard, Little, Kodo and Foxtail.
Wash these thoroughly by changing water several times as there is lot of dirt in it.
Once the water gets clean, soak it for 3 to 4 hours.
After about 4 hours, drain the water and boil millets.
For this, put the soaked millets in the pressure cooker along with 1 cup water and cook for 2 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the pressure settle down fully.
Open the pressure cooker and fluff the boiled millets. This will be now almost 2 cups.
You can keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days easily.
For making the salad, let the boiled millets cool down completely first.
Once cooled, add chopped tomato, cucumber, peppers etc and green chutney to it.
Toss everything. Add some pomegranate pearls as this really enhances the taste as well as the looks of the salad.
Adjust seasoning if need be.
At the time of serving, add roasted and crushed peanuts.
Serve with love, lemon coriander soup optional.
For Green Chutney Dressing
Clean and wash green coriander and mint.
Roughly chop these.
Put chopped coriander, mint and all the spices mentioned under Green chutney in the grinder. Add 2 tbsp water and 2 ice cubes and gring to a fine paste.
- 1/2 cup millets become 1 cup after soaking and finally becomes 2 cups after boiling.
- Take millets of your choice.
- You can make green chutney as per your recipe too.
- In the absence of green chutney, add chat masala, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Ice cubes are added as it helps in retaining the bright green colour of the green chutney.