- 1 How To Make
- 2 Special Tips For the Perfect Outcome
- 3 Step By Step Recipe
- 5 FAQs
- 6 LET'S CONNECT!
- 7 Lamington Cake Recipe
And the best part is that it's a fireless recipe if you use readymade sponge cake and fruit sauces.
Jump to Recipe
Aussies call it Lamingtons but we like to call these Coconut Cake Delights. While having a bite of these we were confused as to if it was a cake or some coconut sweet or what?
Unlike Middle Eastern Basbousa, this cake is not made of coconut. Then? Wait for some more time till the mystery unfolds.
A wonderful dessert, very easy to make.
The credit for this recipe goes to Barry C. Parsons. To be honest, I didn't know about Lamingtons until I saw Lamingtons made by him. Though I followed the method described by him on his website Rock Recipes.com for making these but followed my own recipe for the cake. I used eggless wheat cake for making these Lamington squares.
Also, instead of jello, I used simple fruit sauces for dipping cake pieces.
You can use any cake, eggless or with eggs, homemade or store-bought. What is needed is a vanilla sponge cake.
If you do not want to bake the cake yourself, no worries just go and grab one from the local bakery.
How To Make
- Firstly, you need a simple vanilla cake. You can make your own or use a readymade one.
- Whichever cake you use, cut it into square pieces.
- Then dip these cake squares in any coulis of your choice and finally rolled in shredded coconut.
- I made it in 3 flavors, strawberry, mango, and chocolate.
- Strawberries, yes, as I preserved these when in season and I still have these in my freezer. How to store Strawberries? Check here.
I made all the 3 flavors together as I had to gift these.
You can make any one or more as per your convenience.
Also, I have made these bite-sized, though actually, they should be slightly bigger in size.
Special Tips For the Perfect Outcome
- Freeze the cake squares
- Now comes a very important tip. And the tip is that before dipping cake pieces in fruit sauce, you must put them in the freezer for some time.
- This is to ensure that the cake piece doesn't crumble while dipping in the sauce.
- If they are slightly frozen, it becomes easy to dip these in sauce and then roll in coconut.
- Don't worry, they will soon become soft and spongy once out of the freezer.
2. Use both your hands
- Another important thing is the rolling part. Desiccated/shredded coconut gets moist very soon while rolling cake pieces because of the sauce and you might end up wasting a lot of it, as it looks good only when dry. For this, in addition to the method I have explained through photos below, use both your hands.
- Roll with one hand, once fully coated then gently pick it with the other hand.
- Instant Coconut Laddoos
- Chocolate Muffins
- Basic Eggless Sponge Cake In Pressure Cooker
- Strawberry Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
Step By Step Recipe
- Take a Vanilla sponge cake. Cut it into square pieces.
- Keep these pieces in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Prepare sauces.
- Dip the cake pieces in the sauce of your choice and keep these aside.
- Take desiccated coconut on a plate. Take little at a time.
- Put them in desiccated coconut, put some desiccated coconut all around, and roll gently.
- Put the coconut-coated lamingtons on parchment paper on a plate/tray.
- Keep these in the refrigerator for some time.
- Serve with love.
Q) Is it necessary to use a square or rectangular cake for this recipe?
- No. But as the conventional Lamington are square-shaped only so we need to cut the cake in squares only. And if cut squares from a round cake then we end up wasting a lot of cake.
- However, you can change the shape as per your convenience.
Q) Is it necessary to freeze the cake pieces before dipping in sauce?
- Yes. As the sponge cake is very soft so freezing hardens it up. If you dip it in fruit sauce without freezing then it will crumble in the sauce only.
- And don't worry, once it gets ready, it will again be soft.
Q) My dry desiccated coconut gets moist while I roll the cake pieces in it. How to avoid that?
- Firstly, dip 5 to 6 pieces and keep them separately in a plate.
- Secondly, use the other hand, which is totally dry, for lifting the coconut-coated lamingtons.
Thank you for reading this post. I hope you will surely try out this interesting Lamington cake recipe for your loved ones. If you try this recipe then do share your feedback. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. Also, if you like this post then feel free to comment in the comment section below. You could share it in your social media circle by clicking little buttons below.
Lamington Cake Recipe
A simple sponge cake flavored with fruit sauces and coconut.
- 1 Vanilla Sponge Cake (Preferably, Square Shaped )
- 1/4 Cup Strawberry Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Mango Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded or Desiccated Coconut
Cut vanilla sponge cake into square pieces. Put these pieces in the freezer for a few hours, around 2 to 3 hours so that they harden up then.
In the meantime prepare the sauces, chocolate sauce, mango sauce and strawberry sauce. Let the sauces be at room temperature. If using store bought sauces then omit this step.
Now take out cake pieces from the freezer.
Dip the pieces in sauce and roll it in desiccated/shredded coconut.
Put these on parchment paper.
Make all the lamingtons like this, dipping in the sauce of your preference.
Keep these in the refrigerator for some time as they taste superb when chilled. Serve with love.
- If you are baking your own cake for making lamingtons then bake in a square baking tin, preferably, as it will be easy to cut squares from it. If round in shape, then you will end up wasting a lot of it.
- As mentioned earlier do not forget to put the cake pieces in the freezer for a few hours. Otherwise, they may crumble while being dipped in the sauce.
- You can roll these in shredded or desiccated coconut as per your choice.
- You can use ready-made sauces also but I used homemade.
- For mango sauce, just puree mango pieces with some sugar. Add a little milk, if too thick. Give it a boil and that's it.
- For the other two sauces, you may read here... chocolate sauce, strawberry coulis.
- One tip, dip 5-6 pieces in sauce first, keep them separately then start rolling in coconut.