- 1 When I Tried Homemade Condensed Milk First Time
- 2 Step By Step Recipe Showing How to Make Condensed Milk at Home
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3.0.1 Q) Why Make Condensed Milk at home, when it is easily available in the market?
- 3.0.2 Q) Can I make sugar-free condensed milk?
- 3.0.3 Q) For how long can I store this homemade condensed milk?
- 3.0.4 Q) Is Milkmaid and condensed milk same?
- 3.0.5 Q) Is Mithai Mate and condensed milk same?
- 3.0.6 Q) Is condensed milk and evaporated milk same?
- 4 Let's Connect!
- 5 How To Make Condensed Milk Quickly
Make condensed milk quickly in just 2 minutes and that too without using refined sugar! This homemade condensed milk is easy to make and healthy to consume. and it tastes as well looks just like the store-bought one.
And thus, with this easy n simple recipe, even condensed milk has been ticked off from my grocery list. Why buy it when I can make an instant and quick one in my own kitchen?
When I Tried Homemade Condensed Milk First Time
A brief conversation between me and my hubby:
This conversation took place just last month. Actually, when I started baking my all-time favourite Tutti Fruiti cake, I realized that its main ingredient, condensed milk, was not there. I had already started the process, so I thought of trying it with homemade condensed milk. Since long, I had been wanting to try it out but somehow couldn't and this was the perfect opportunity to try it.
Moreover, I was tempted to try it as its not a time-consuming recipe, just a 2-minute recipe that too with just 2 ingredients. Also, I could replace refined sugar with brown sugar. And wow! what lovely colour and texture! And you have already read it in the beginning when my dear hubby tasted it.
So, no more stocking of condensed milk as I can make it whenever I require in just 2 minutes.
Before we look into how condensed milk is made, any idea what it is?
What is Condensed Milk?
Condensed milk simply means milk that has been thickened by evaporating it and sweetened. Normally, sugar is added to milk and is then heated for an hour or so till the milk thickens and water in it is evaporated. In the process, the sugar caramelizes and gives a lovely creamish colour to it.
Condensed milk made by this method gives perfect results but it is a very time-consuming method. And if we can get the same results by following this recipe of making condensed milk instantly then why not?
Nestle Milkmaid or Amul Mithai Mate are nothing but famous brands of readymade condensed milk.
How To Make Condensed Milk Instantly With Milk Powder
The instant condensed milk, I am sharing here, is made with milk powder. Instead of milk, we are using milk powder which is nothing but dehydrated milk only. To the milk powder, sugar and hot water are added and that's it!.
Now, the quantity of water varies depending upon when you are going to use it. If using immediately, then add slightly less water. And if making it in advance then use slightly more water as it thickens after being kept in the refrigerator.
Step By Step Recipe Showing How to Make Condensed Milk at Home
- Take all the 4 ingredients, namely, milk powder, brown sugar, butter and hot water.
Tip: You can use jaggery powder instead of brown sugar
- Put all these in the mixie jar.
- Blitz the mixie for a minute, stopping after every 10 to 15 seconds in between as the hot water might splash.
- Your instant homemade condensed milk is ready.
- Use it or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Consistency Of Condensed Milk
- Consistency of the condensed milk differs when made fresh and after it is kept in the refrigerator.
- The quantities that I have mentioned here in the recipe below will give you condensed milk with a flowing consistency as it will get thicker after keeping for a few hours in the refrigerator. Then it will be exactly like the store-bought one.
- However, if you have to use it then only then reduce the quantity of water by 2 tablespoons.
Condensed Milk Recipes
- Use it for making puddings like Steamed Yogurt Pudding
- Add to kheer etc as it lends a wonderful creamy texture.
- With condensed milk, many Indian sweets can be prepared in a jiffy, many of them even without using fire.
- For making eggless cakes like My Fruit cake baked with this homemade condensed milk. Yes, the same cake about which I mentioned in the beginning and which led me to try this out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q) Why Make Condensed Milk at home, when it is easily available in the market?
There are not one or two but many reasons to make condensed milk at home.
- Firstly, it is super easy to make. Just mix a few, in fact just 3 ingredients in the blender.
- It is far more economical to do so. Do the calculation and you will be surprised.
- Store-bought condensed milk uses refined sugar. When making at home, you can choose sweetener of your choice, like brown sugar, cane sugar, jaggery, stevia, etc. Or, you can even make it without sweetener.
- Also, what happens is that we may require very little condensed milk for a recipe but we are forced to buy the pack only and then there is the tension to finish it off. But when you make it yourself, you can make exactly the same quantity as you need.
Q) Can I make sugar-free condensed milk?
Yes! Follow the above recipe but omit brown sugar and reduce the quantity of water. Instead of 1/4 cup, use only 2 tablespoons of hot water only.
Q) For how long can I store this homemade condensed milk?
This homemade condensed milk can be easily stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. But store it in an airtight container.
Q) Is Milkmaid and condensed milk same?
Yes. Milkmaid is sweetened condensed milk sold by Nestle. Over the years, milkmaid has become so popular that milkmaid and condensed milk are used interchangeably.
Q) Is Mithai Mate and condensed milk same?
Again,Yes. Mithai Mate is also sweetened condensed milk but sold by Amul.
Q) Is condensed milk and evaporated milk same?
Condensed milk is sweetened whereas Evaporated milk is unsweetened. If you make condensed milk without sugar then it will be like evaporated milk only.
I hope you have liked this recipe for making homemade condensed milk.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram(#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
How To Make Condensed Milk Quickly
With this easy 2-minute recipe no need to stock condensed milk in your pantry.
- 1/2 Cup Milk Powder
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar/Honey/ Jaggery Powder
- 1/4 Cup Hot Water
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence (Optional)
Add all the ingredients in the blender and blend for approximately 1 minute or till everything mixed nicely and forms a liquidy paste.
- As we are using hot water, so, blitz mixer for 10 seconds at a time, stop and then again do it, for the initial 2-3 times. This is done to avoid splashing of ingredients.
- This consistency is perfect to be used immediately. If making it in advance then add 1 or 2 tablespoon more water.
- Milk powder is already sweet so use sugar sparingly.
- You can adjust the sweetness as per your taste.
Stay Fit... Stay Happy