- 1 Soy: Boon for Vegetarians
- 2 Easy Dry Roasted Soybean Recipe
- 3 How to Make Roasted Soybeans In Air Fryer
- 4 Step By Step Method
- 5 Serving Suggestions
- 6 FAQs
- 6.0.1 Q) Which soybean I need for this recipe?
- 6.0.2 Q) Why Soak Soybean?
- 6.0.3 Q) What is the shelf life of roasted soybean?
- 6.0.4 Q) Can I make roasted soybean in any other flavor?
- 6.0.5 Q) If I don't have an air fryer then how to roast these?
- 6.0.6 Q What are the various ways to include soy in our diet?
- 6.0.7 Q) What are the benefits of Soybean
- 7 Some Other Roasted Snacks You May Like:
- 8 Let's Connect!
- 9 Healthy Roasted Soybeans
Roasted Soybeans, light, crunchy and delicious, is indeed a healthy, guilt-free snack for any time munching. Have a fistful of it daily with your tea or coffee and get a substantial portion of your daily protein requirement.
Soy: Boon for Vegetarians
Search for protein-rich foods for vegetarians/vegans and Soy products tops the list. Be it Soy granules or Soy chunks or Soy milk or Tofu. And these crunchy munchy roasted soy nuts are a tasty as a well nutritious snack.
It is advised to include soy daily in your diet in some of the other forms. And roasted Soybean is perfect to have any time of the day.
Here, I would like to share my personal experience. Whenever I visit my Gynae, she always emphasizes on Soy products and advises me to include them in my diet in some or other form. But, I don't have a liking for these and thus avoided them. But ever since, I have made these roasted ones, I am living guilt-free and with a sigh of relief that I am having my daily dose of Soy :)-
A few months back, I got to eat roasted soybean. Those were store-bought. These were so yummy that immediately, I decided to give it a try and my trial was a super-duper hit. They came out so puffed up and crunchy. Once you start eating then you feel like going on and on. Also, I made these a little spicy by adding some spices (you will see that in the recipe below). You can even add seasoning like chili flakes, oregano or garlic powder, etc.
Easy Dry Roasted Soybean Recipe
Making roasted soybean is perhaps the easiest way to include soy in your diet. The only time-consuming part of this recipe is soaking them for at least 8 to 10 hours. Why soaking is important? Read the reason in the FAQs below.
Once soaked, drain the water. Add spices of your choice and roast them in the air fryer or in the oven. Let them cool a bit and these are ready.
How to Make Roasted Soybeans In Air Fryer
I roasted these in my Phillips air fryer. It was so simple! Simply put soaked and seasoned Soybeans in the air fryer basket and these are ready in 12 to 15 minutes. As these are much bigger than the holes of the basket so they remain on the basket only. You can even line the basket with aluminum foil if need be, but I don't.
In the absence of an air fryer, roast these in Otg.
Step By Step Method
- Wash soybean and soak it in water for at least 8 to 10 hours.
- Rinse Soybean in freshwater and keep the rinsed soybean in a strainer for 10 to 15 minutes so that excess water drips off. They will still be wet but without any extra water.
- Preheat the air fryer at 200 degrees C for 5 minutes.
- Mix all the spices, if need be grind them.
- Add salt and all other spices in the soybean. Mix nicely.
- Pop these in the preheated air fryer. Do not overcrowd these by putting more at a time. I did this much quantity in 2 batches.
- Air fry these for 12 to 13 minutes, tossing after every 5 minutes.
- When the color changes and they turn crisp, take out and let them cool completely. To check, take out one piece, let it cool and taste or snap between fingers.
- Once completely cool, store them in an airtight container.
- They remain crisp up to a month easily, though they won't last till then.
- As it is as a snack with your tea or coffee.
- Make Soy Chat or say Soy Bhel: Add finely chopped onion, tomatoes, capsicum in the roasted soybean. Toss and serve.
Q) Which soybean I need for this recipe?
For roasting, we need Soybean which is actually a legume and is similar to kidney beans, chickpeas etc. You can sprout it too. But here we are talking about roasted soybeans.
Q) Why Soak Soybean?
It is important to soak soybean. We do so for 2 reasons:
- The trick in making these puffed-up roasted soybeans lies in soaking. Yes, you need to soak it really well, at least for 8 to 10 hours, depending on the weather, till the beans get double in size. By soaking for so long they also get soft and thus get crunchy when roasted.
- The other benefit of soaking is that you get rid of antinutrients and indigestible proteins that are there in the beans. To know more about the benefits of soaking beans read here.
Q) What is the shelf life of roasted soybean?
They remain crisp up to a month easily, though they won't last till then.
Q) Can I make roasted soybean in any other flavor?
A) You can add seasonings as per your liking. Possible options can be:
- Black pepper, cinnamon, fennel seeds, salt, etc (the one given in the recipe card below)
- Oregano, chili flakes, salt
- Chaat Masala
- Garlic Powder and salt
Q) If I don't have an air fryer then how to roast these?
A) In that case roast these in an OTG or in the microwave convection oven. For that, preheat OTG at 200 degrees for 10 minutes. Spread a layer of rinsed and seasoned soybean on the Otg tray and toast for 20 to 25 minutes. Use both the rods of Otg.
Q What are the various ways to include soy in our diet?
- Soy flour: Add little in your wheat flour. But do not add much as it may cause flatulence and indigestion.
- Soy milk
- Bhurji made with Soy granules
- Soy chunks in gravy
- In Cheese croquettes using soy granules.
- Soybean in gravy
- Soybean Roasted
Q) What are the benefits of Soybean
- Rich in Protein
- Low in Saturated fats
- Low Glycemic Index, thus good for Diabetics
- Cholesterol free, thus good or heart patients
- Good source of various Vitamins and Minerals
- High in Phytoestrogens which in result reduces Menopause symptoms.
- Reduces the risk of Osteoporosis
Some Other Roasted Snacks You May Like:
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this Roasted Soybeans recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below as your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram (#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you
Healthy Roasted Soybeans
A healthy guilt-free snack.
- 200 g Soybean
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Amchoor Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
Wash soybean and soak it in water for at least 12 hours. In between, add water, if need be.
Discard this water and rinse Soybean in freshwater. This is important to get rid of antinutrients and indigestible proteins released in the water during soaking.
Keep the rinsed soybean in a strainer for 10 to 15 minutes so that excess water drips off. They will still be wet but without any extra water.
Preheat air fryer at 200 degrees C for 5 minutes.
Add all the spices in the soybean. Soybean will easily get coated with spices as they are wet.
Mix nicely. Pop these directly in the preheated air fryer. Do not overcrowd these by putting more at a time. No need of putting in any container or lining aluminium foil.
Air fry these for 15 minutes, tossing after every 5 minutes.
When the colour changes and they turn crisp, take out and let them cool completely. To check, take out one piece, let it cool and taste or snap between fingers.
Once completely cool, store them in an airtight container.
They remain crisp upto a month easily, though they won't last till then.
For Baking In Otg
Preheat Otg at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
Spread a layer of rinsed and seasoned soyabean on the Otg tray and toast for 15 to 20 minutes. Use both the rods of Otg.
Variation: Soya Chat/Bhel
Add finely chopped onion, tomatoes, capsicum in the roasted soybean. Toss and serve.
- Soak soybean till they get double in size.
- Mix all the spices in a bowl or powder them in a grinder.
- Instead of all these spices, simply use Chat Masala.
- Adjust spices as per your liking. You can even add chili flakes, oregano, and garlic powder to it.
- You can add 1 tsp oil along with the spices. The oil will give shine to the beans.
- In case, you find them soft or less crispy once cooled, then put them in the air fryer for few more minutes.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy…
PS: This post has an embedded marketing link that would earn me a small commission from the seller when a purchase is made. The commission is used by me in the maintenance and running of this site and does not result in any additional cost to the buyer.