Fruit Pizza: Healthy n Yummy
Hi friends, today I'm sharing with you another very simple but totally healthy and very tasty recipe of Fruit Pizza.
Seeing the craze of pizza everywhere and in all age brackets, the name, fruit pizza, itself is appealing and once you have it then you are all gaga for it. Serve it as a dessert or as an evening snack and it is sure to win hearts. So now when you have pizza for dinner, then end it up with pizza in dessert too.
Last year on my trip to Agra, I had this Fruit Pizza for the first time. We all just loved it and then only I made up my mind to try it out in my kitchen too. And finally I tried it recently and it was a hit. It was appreciated by all and vanished in no time.
For making this Fruit Pizza, though I googled the recipe but eventually I landed up combining two of my earlier recipes. It is a fusion of my Bourbon Biscuits (without cocoa powder) and Creamy Cheesy canapes.
The base is made of wheat flour and for the icing, instead of whipped cream, I used homemade cream cheese which is nothing but a mix of cottage cheese and hung curd. The recipe uses no white sugar and is thus very healthy. The only indulgence is butter, and that too not in very large quantity.
It gets ready just in half an hour and then another 15 minutes to cool it down. The ingredients used are also easily available in your pantry all the time. Just bring fruits of your choice and make it.
For the crust, you combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, butter and milk. That's it. Just mix everything and spread it on the baking tray and bake it. Adjust the thickness of the crust as per your liking. Though very thin crust is not advisable.
Till the crust gets baked, prepare the icing. For the icing, make a paste of cottage cheese in the blender. Use a little bit of hung curd, as it is very stiff. Add sweetener of your choice. Like I added honey. You may add a little bit of whipped cream but can always avoid it. I added as I had whipped cream handy that day (left after making strawberry cupcakes). You can prepare this icing in advance also. Remains good for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
You can use any and all the fruits though pulpy fruits are preferred than the watery ones. But no restriction as such.
You can prepare this fruit pizza, a day in advance also if preparing it for a get-together. Just secure it with a clingfilm and keep it in the refrigerator.
So, as you can see it has all the healthy ingredients except butter. And as we have a huge variety of fruits in summers then this is the ideal dessert.
Also, if your children don't eat fruits, then serve them this fruit pizza, they will surely love it. Be creative, arrange fruits in whatever way you like. I have made it healthy now you make it as beautiful as you can...
Let's see the recipe in detail and then make it...
Do not forget to post pics of your creation on my FB page or if on Instagram then tag me as "samirasrecipediary" or pin it for later use.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Baking Time: 15 Minutes
Yields: 8" Pizza
For The Base
1 Cup (130 g ) Wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
For The Icing
For The Base
- Take wheat flour and baking soda in a bowl and mix the two.
- Add brown sugar and honey. Mix nicely.
- Add cold butter and oil and rub the two till the flour resemble crumbs.
- Add milk, little at a time, and without kneading just gather the dough into a big ball.
- Grease the baking tray. I used an 8" pie dish for this. You can also take any plate or cake tin. Or make in 2 or 3 smaller trays. In that case, keep the remaining dough in the refrigerator till the first one is getting baked.
- No need to refrigerate the dough. Just tear it into small pieces and keep all over the all over the baking tray. This is done as it is not easy to roll therefore it is done like this.
- Press each piece forming a pizza base. Do not bother about being neat. Just press all the pieces so that they are joined properly and looks like a base. Just see that the thickness is equal from all the sides.
- Press each piece forming a pizza base. . This is done so that it doesn't puff up while baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 150 degrees C for 10 to 12 minutes. This crust is neither very crisp nor soft. Appropriate like a cookie. If you want a crisp crust then bake for some more time.
- Once baked, take out the base. After 5 to 7 minutes, run a knife around it and invert it on a wire rack. Let it cool completely.
For The Icing
- Once cool, spread cream cheese.
- Arrange fruits.
- Serve with love. Cover the remaining (if any) with cling film and keep in the refrigerator.
- If you are using salted butter then no need to add salt. Otherwise, add a pinch of salt. I used Amul butter so didn't add salt.
- Do not knead the dough, just gather it into a ball. Kneading will develop gluten which will make the base chewy.
- Add milk little at a time. The quantity of milk used may vary depending upon the flour.
- After gathering the dough you can straight away bake it. However, if not possible then wrap it in cling film and keep in the refrigerator. The cookie dough is kept in the refrigerator so that cookies do not spread out much while baking. But since for making pizza base, we need to spread the dough so refrigeration is not necessary.
- If you want the base to be crispy then bake it for 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Whether cottage cheese or hung curd, ensure there is no water in it. Otherwise, cream cheese will be runny.
- You may brush glaze over the require fruit glaze if you are using fruits like apple, pears, banana etc. However, I didn't use it.
- To make the glaze, take 2 to 3 tablespoon of any fruit juice. Add 1 teaspoon cornflour in it and heat it. When cool, brush fruits with this.
Detailed Recipe with Step By Step Pics
Brush oil in an 8" baking tray, preferably round.
Preheat oven at 150 degrees for 15 minutes.
Take flour and Baking Soda.
Mix in brown sugar and honey.
Rub in cold butter and oil.
Add milk, little at a time.
Gather into a ball.
Either refrigerate it after wrapping in clingfilm.
Or, tear small balls and keep it all over the greased baking tray.
Press each piece forming a pizza base.
Prick all over using a fork.
Bake in the preheated oven.
In the meantime, prepare the icing. Take cottage cheese in the blender.
Add honey and vanilla essence.
Fold in whipped cream,
Once baked, keep the pizza base on a wire rack and let it cool completely.
Spread icing on the pizza base.
Serve with loads of love.
If you have liked this recipe or my other recipes then share your feedback along with pics. And do not forget to leave a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. Also, join me on my Facebook page for more interesting tips and facts.
And Now, Its Time For …
Food For Soul
Life Was Much Easier When Apple And Blackberry Were Just Fruits