This Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake made with wheat flour and homemade condensed milk is an easy, full-proof recipe & has always won hearts
This Fruit cake recipe is one of my oldest recipes and I have tried it umpteen times. And every time it has been a huge success. The best part is that it is liked by the elderly and children alike. Many elderly people including my father in law have termed it as the best cake.
It is a very light cake and goes very well with tea. As I said, I have tried it n number of times but recently have changed the recipe a little. Any guesses as to what has changed? Nothing much! Just switched over to whole wheat from all-purpose flour. Earlier I made it with all-purpose flour then tried by taking half of whole wheat and all-purpose. And now, I make it 100% with the whole wheat flour and it still tastes the best.
Long back I myself started with this recipe. So, if you are new to baking and have inhibitions about baking then start with this easy recipe. The excellent results will boost your morale to do more baking.
You just can’t go wrong with this recipe. The best thing is that though made with wheat flour still there is no taste of wheat and all-purpose flour is not at all missed.
Fruit Cake with Homemade Condensed Milk
Though I always loved this recipe but what discouraged me from making it often was the condensed milk. As it is not always there in the pantry so, I had to wait to get it. The other reason was that as I have switched over to wheat cakes and brown sugar or jaggery as a sweetener so using store-bought condensed milk somewhere left guilt in me. But now I am very happy as I now make it with my homemade condensed milk which is made using brown sugar or jaggery only. And the result is perfect, the way it used to be. Thus is the Fruit cake I made recently using my 2 minute condensed milk recipe.
Step By Step Recipe
- Grease a rectangular cake tin of 8” by 4” and dust it with flour. Or take a round tin of 6″.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 3 times. Mix tutti fruit in this flour.
- In a bowl, mix condensed milk, oil and vanilla essence thoroughly.
- Add flour in this mix in 2 or 3 batches. it will be quite a thick batter at this stage.
- Adjust consistency by adding aerated soda water.
- Put the batter in the prepared cake tin. Tap it to release air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Invert the cake after a few minutes and let it cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, store it in an airtight container.
- Serve with love, tea is optional.
Q) How to Distribute Tutti Frutti Evenly in the Cake?
This is a very common problem but with the easiest solution. In many cases, fruits, being heavy, sink to the bottom of the cake and are thus not evenly distributed. To make them spread all over your cake, all you have to do is dust your dry fruits/tutti fruity with flour as shown in the pic below. This makes the tutti fruit light and it gets mixed evenly in the batter and then in the cake. Try it! You will never ever bake without doing so.
Q) Can I Bake it In Disposable Cake Pans?
You can very well bake this cake in disposable cake pans too. In that case, no need to grease the cake pan. Just put the batter and bake. Secondly, once baked, let it remain like this only. No need to invert. Once completely cooled then cover with cling film and use t for gifting it to your loved ones.
Q) How to Bake this cake In Convention Oven?
- Of course, you can bake it in Otg. If you are using an OTG, then, first of all, preheat it for at least 12 to 15 minutes with both the rods ON.
- Thereafter, keep the baking tin on the middle rack and keep only the bottom rod ON. Do not use the top rod.
- Each Otg is different so keep a check on the cake after 20 minutes only. It may take a longer or shorter time than prescribed here.
Q) How to make this cake without an oven?
You can bake this cake in a pressure cooker too. Here’s the detailed method of baking a cake in a pressure cooker/wok.
Some Other Easy Cake Recipes:
I hope you have liked this recipe for Eggless Fruit Cake and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram for the latest recipe updates.
Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour See Note 2
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Dried Fruits Tutti Fruiti, Nuts etc
- 200 Gms Condensed Milk Store-bought or Homemade
- 1/4 Cup Oil See Note 3
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Aerated Soda Water Club Soda or Carbonated Water
- Take an 8" by 4" rectangular cake tin. Brush it with oil and dust with flour. Or simply line it with parchment paper. Keep it aside.
- Preheat oven to 180º C for 15 minutes.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 3 times, for better aeration, which in turn will make the cake light.
- Keep aside 1 tsp dried fruits for topping and mix the remaining in this mix so that they are properly coated with flour. ( See Note 4 ).
- In a bowl, take condensed milk, oil and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly, for approx. 1 minute.
- To this, add the dry mix of flour and nuts in 2 or 3 batches.
- Adjust consistency using aerated soda water. ( See Note 5 )
- Pour this cake mix into the prepared cake tin. Sprinkle crushed nuts on the top.
- Tap the tin, 2-3 times. This is done to release air bubbles from the cake batter if any.
- Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 35-40 minutes. (see Note 6 )
- The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in its centre comes out clean.
- After taking out of the oven, wait for 2-3 minutes and then loosen the sides with a butter knife.
- Now invert the cake tin on a wire rack and tap to remove. ( See Note 7 )
- Once cooled, cut your delicious Teatime cake or fruitcake into slices and serve with tea/ coffee/ smoothies.
- Please use standard measuring cups and spoons only. Never ever use cups lying in your kitchen for tea/ coffee, as they are of varied sizes.
- Can make this cake with all-purpose flour(maida) also. Can even use half of each flour, that is, 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour. In case you make it with all-purpose flour, adjust the quantity of aerated soda water, which requires less quantity.
- You can use any oil, be it refined, olive, canola or any other. Avoid coconut oil as it has a very strong flavor. I used canola oil here. Have used refined oil too in the past many times.
- Mix dried fruits in the dry flour only, to ensure their even distribution in the cake. If added to the batter they tend to sink down and will be only in one part of the cake.
- Add soda water in the last, when your oven is ready. Immediately after adding soda water, pour it into the baking tin and straight into the oven.
- Baking time may vary from oven to oven, so keep a check from 25 minutes onwards.
- Always invert cake on a wire rack otherwise it will turn soggy from the bottom.
- Can increase or decrease the number of dried fruits.
- In the case of the non-availability of tutti frutti, you can this make only with nuts also like almonds, cashews, walnuts, raisins, dates, etc. But I prefer tutti frutti as it makes the cake colorful also.
- Salt is added to enhance the flavor of the sugar, so go ahead.
- No sugar is required as we are using condensed milk.
- In case, the top gets cooked fast, whereas the bottom part needs more cooking, then cover the top part with aluminum foil.
- You can also bake this cake in disposable baking pans. In that case, no need to grease it or line it with parchment paper. Simply pour the batter and bake.