Eggless Ragi cake or muffins made without refined sugar are a perfect delight to have any time. They are super soft and spongy.
These muffins are a perfect combo of health and taste. I have added choco chips here to make it more chocolatey.
Once you will make this you would like to use this flour again and again These also taste so good that you will not miss all-purpose flour or sugar.
Recently I got an opportunity to be a part of this Blogging Marathon. This post is my very first entry into this marathon. I am thankful to Srivalli Jetti, who is the organizer of this Blogging Marathon, to accept my request of joining it even in mid-session.
The theme I have chosen for this marathon is Kids Delight -Travel.
And muffins are something, you can carry yourself while travelling too. Even in summers, they remain good for 2 to 3 days.
These Eggless Ragi Chocolate muffins are not only made with healthy flour but are also free of refined sugar. I have used jaggery to sweeten them up. So, completely healthy. You can serve these in breakfast, or in the lunch box or for any time munching. And if you are travelling, just carry with you these muffins. And anytime your kids feel hungry just hand over one or two of them.
How about knowing a little about Ragi Flour?
What Is Ragi?
Ragi is a millet also known as Finger Millet or Nachni Flour. It is a wonder grain seated on the topmost level amongst all the cereals. Ragi, being a millet is full of benefits.
Benefits of Ragi
- Rich source of digestible fibres, minerals and vitamins.
- It helps in reducing weight.
- The low glycemic index makes it good for diabetics.
- Excellent baby food as it not only improves digestion but is full of nutrients like iron and calcium.
- It boosts lactation. So, feeding mothers have ragi in some form or the other.
For more detailed info regarding the benefits of Ragi, read here.
Brownie Points Of This Recipe
Made with 100% Ragi Flour, no wheat flour used
No refined sugar was used. Made with jaggery
Easy ingredients that are available in all kitchens.
Easy & quick recipe.
Can be made in Otg, microwave convection, air fryer or in Pressure Cooker
Step By Step Recipe
- Line muffin liners in the tart moulds or in the muffins tray. You can even line these in steel or glass bowls or paper cups also.
- Roast Ragi flour for 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame to get rid of the raw smell.
- In a big bowl take Ragi flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and choco chips. (Reserve some choco chips for garnishing on the top.
- In a jar of mixie, take curd, oil, vanilla essence and jaggery powder. Blend it to make a fine paste. This is done to ensure that the jaggery is fully dissolved.
- Add the jaggery mix to the dry ingredients and mix everything using cut and fold method. If you mix the batter vigorously or for too long then you will have dense and chewy muffins. So, be gentle with the batter and mix as little as possible.
- If required, adjust the consistency by adding some more milk.
- Add Vinegar. I started preheating my microwave convection at this stage. If baking in oven or pressure cooker then preheat it for 10 minutes and start early.
- Put the batter in the muffin liners. Sprinkle choco chips or sugar sprinkles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
Baking In Oven
Preheat oven at 180 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Start preheating the oven when you start preparing the batter. Keep the baking tray in the middle rack and bake for 16 to 18 minutes or till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
Baking In Microwave Convection
Preheat microwave at 180 degrees. The timer is built-in, generally, it takes 5 minutes. Start preheating when the batter is ready. When it gives a beep indicating that it is preheated, keep the baking tray with moulds and bake.
Baking In Pressure Cooker
Preheat the pressure cooker for 10 minutes. Keep the muffin moulds on the stand/rack in the cooker. For complete details regarding baking in a pressure cooker, click here.
Baking In Air Fryer
Preheat Airfryer at 180 degrees for 5 minutes. Keep the muffin moulds in the air fryer basket and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
How to Make Ragi cake with this recipe?
- Once the batter gets ready, put it in a 6” cake tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- In air fryer, it will take 20 minutes at 160 degrees C.
Must Read: Ragi Banana Cake
- Strawberry Wheat Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Muffins
- Breakfast Muffins With Carrots & Oats
- Banana Walnut Muffins
I hope you have liked this recipe for making eggless ragi muffins and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram for the latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Ragi Chocolate Muffins
My 1 Cup measures 240 ml
- 3/4 Cup Ragi Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1/4 Cup Curd
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Jaggery Powder
- 1 or 2 Tablespoon Milk at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup Choco Chips Optional
- Line muffin liners in the tart moulds or in the muffins tray. You can even line these in steel or glass bowls.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees. (See Note 7)
- Dry roast Ragi flour for 3 to 4 minutes to get rid of the raw smell. Let it cool down.
- In a big bowl take Ragi flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and choco chips. (Reserve some choco chips for garnishing on the top)
- In a jar of mixie, take curd, oil, vanilla essence and jaggery powder. Blend it to make a fine paste. This is done to ensure that jaggery is dissolved fully.
- Add the jaggery mix to the dry ingredients and mix everything using cut and fold method. If required, adjust the consistency by adding little milk.
- Add vinegar and mix again.
- Put the batter in the muffin liners. Top the muffins with some chocolate chips or sugar sprinkles. Though this is completely optional.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes till skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with love.
- Or store them in an airtight container. Remains good for 3 to 4 days at room temperature. You can keep in the refrigerator for a longer shelf life. These can also be kept in the freezer. Just take them out, an hour before serving and they are perfect.
- The same quantity of sugar can be used in place of jaggery powder.
- You can scale the recipe as per your requirements.
- The same recipe can be made into a cake. For this, take a cake pan of 6" and bake it for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Use any cooking oil be it refined or olive oil or any other.
- You may or may not require milk. Add only if the batter is too thick otherwise no need.
- I baked these in microwave convection.
- You can bake these in air fryer or pressure cooker or electric oven. If baking in the oven or pressure cooker then preheat it for 10 to 12 minutes. Preheat microwave convection or airfryer for 5 minutes. So, start preheating accordingly.
- You can use lemon juice in place of vinegar.