Make this easy sponge cake using wheat flour without eggs and without an oven. A healthy and fluffy cake with easily available ingredients. So, if you are looking for an Atta Cake recipe then here it is.
This recipe is a complete tutorial with step-by-step instructions as to how a cake can be baked on the gas stove. Following this method, you can bake this vanilla cake or chocolate cake, or any other cake too.
Recipe For Beginners
This detailed Pressure cooker cake recipe is for all those who are willing to enter the world of baking but have a hitch in baking a cake. With very few ingredients, that too easily available in every kitchen, you can easily and fearlessly try out this recipe and win over your fears. This post will remove all your doubts and apprehensions.
Today, when I baked this cake then my son, who doesn’t like anything except chocolate cake, was all gaga for it. A compliment coming from someone who doesn’t like anything except chocolate means a lot.
You can have this Atta cake either plain or make Ice cream Sundaes or puddings or Lamingtons or swiss rolls or use it as a base cake for doing icing and turn it into fresh fruit cake and many other things.
You try out this recipe and I assure you will you neither miss eggs nor All-Purpose Flour.
Some other simple eggless cake recipes that you would love to try are::
- If new to baking cakes, then please go through basic tips for baking a good cake. It will really help you.
Tips For Perfect Outcome
- Always ensure that your cake pan fits in your cooker/wok. For this, keep the stand, empty cake pan, and close the lid. If it fits well then very good otherwise go for a bigger cooker or smaller cake pan. This is very important otherwise after putting the batter in the cake pan when you try to place it in the pressure cooker and it doesn’t fit, then? Transfer to a smaller pan and then proceed. But this will affect the texture and sponginess of the cake. So to avoid all the mess, take it as homework and always do it beforehand.
- Remove the gasket (the rubber ring in the lid) of the cooker.
- Lay salt or sand in the cooker.
- Keep a stand or a steel bowl (katori) on the salt before placing the baking pan in the cooker.
- Just like preheating an oven, you need to preheat your cooker as well. For this, lay a bed of salt then keep the stand and close the lid of the cooker. Preheat it like this for 10 to 15 minutes on medium flame.
- After placing the cake pan in the cooker, close the lid and bake on a low flame. It will take around 40 to 50 minutes. Do not remove the lid and try to check your cake in the first 30 minutes of baking.
- If possible, use an old cooker for baking purposes. If you don’t have then bake in your day-to-day cooker only but restrict its usage to once or twice a month. This is because excessive heat weakens the metal. It is better to use an aluminum cooker as aluminum is a good conductor of heat. However, I used my steel cooker only as I rarely bake on a stovetop.
- Last but not the least, when you bake on the stovetop then there is only one temperature and that too without any degree Celsius or Fahrenheit. So, do not confuse yourself. The recipe may mention any temperature but you bake it on sim gas only. However, if using an Otg or microwave convection then, of course, follow the temperature mentioned.
Q) What utensils can be used in the cooker for Baking?
When making a cake in a pressure cooker then you can use any utensil of your choice be it steel or aluminum or glass or silicone or paper. In my Chocolate muffins without an oven, I have used different types of molds to make muffins.
Q) Can we make cake in a steel bowl in the cooker?
Yes! As mentioned above too, you can make cake in a steel bowl also. Just ensure that it fits in the cooker.
Q) Can I bake in a pressure cooker?
Agreed that cake is baked in an oven. But that doesn’t mean that it cannot be baked without it. Remember those traditional Gas Tandoors? Those were perfect for baking cake and other goodies like cookies, bread, etc. Those Tandoors seem to have vanished today. And what if we still create that oven-like environment on the gas stove using day-to-day kitchen appliances?
Q) Why do we lay salt in the cooker while baking?
- Salt maintains the temperature inside the pan and allows for an even distribution of heat.
- Secondly, without salt/sand, there are chances of spoiling the utensil so it is better to lay salt. You can use the same salt multiple times.
Q) Why do we place a steel bowl (Katori) on the salt before placing the baking pan in the cooker
This is done to provide insulation between the direct flame and the baking pan. If put directly in the cooker without a stand then the bottom of the cake will get baked quickly leaving the upper portion undone. So, always keep a stand first. In case you don’t have a stand then keep your cooker on a griddle.
Q) Can I use the same salt again for baking?
A) Yes, keep on using the same salt again and again for baking only. You can use it an unlimited number of times. But please do not use this salt in cooking.
Q) In the cooker, the cake is baked in how much time?
As compared to the Microwave cake which gets ready in just 5 minutes, the cooker cake takes almost an hour. However, the baking time also depends on the following factors:
- Size of the cake
- Quantity of cake batter
- The thickness of the wok used
How to Make Sponge Cake Without Oven
- pressure cooker
My 1 Cup measures 240 ml
- 1 Cup less 2 Tbsp (120 g) Wheat Flour (Atta) (See Note 3)
- 2 Tablespoon Cornflour (See Note 4)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar (See Note 6)
- 1/4 Oil Oil (See Note 7)
- 3/4 Cup Curd (See Note 8)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 Cup Milk at room temperature (See Note 9)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vinegar Or Lemon Juice
- Take a 6″ round cake tin. Brush it with oil and dust with flour. Or simply line it with parchment paper. Keep it aside.
- Preheat pressure cooker. For this, remove the gasket (rubber ring from the cooker lid. Lay salt in the pressure cooker and keep a stand on it. Close the lid and preheat it for 10 to 15 minutes on medium flame. (See Note 10)
- Sift together flour, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 3 times, for better aeration, which in turn will make the cake light. (See Note 11)
- In a bowl, take thick curd, oil, vanilla essence, and sugar. Beat thoroughly using a fork or wire whisk, for approx. 1 minute or till sugar dissolves.
- To this, add the dry mix of flour in 2 or 3 batches.
- Adjust consistency using milk.
- Add vinegar. Mix lightly.(See Note 12)
- Pour this cake mix into the prepared cake tin. Tap the tin, 2-3 times. This is done to release air bubbles in the cake batter if any.
- Keep the cake pan in the preheated pressure cooker.Bake on low flame for 40 to 50 minutes.(See Note 13)
- After about 30 minutes check if the cake is ready by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean then it is done. Also, touch the cake and see that it is completely dry. If you feel even little stickiness then bake for few more minutes.
- After taking out of the pressure cooker, wait for 8 to 10 minutes and then loosen the sides with a butter knife. Now invert the cake tin on a wire rack and tap to remove. ( See Note 14 )
- Once cooled, cut it into slices and serve
- Can keep this at room temperature for 2-3 days, depending on the weather. If kept in the refrigerator, even lasts for about a week.
- Use standard measuring cups and spoons only. Never ever use cups lying in your kitchen for tea/ coffee, as they are of varied sizes.
- You may use a cake pan of your likings like a square, heart/flower-shaped, or any other. But please ensure that it is only half-filled once the batter is poured into it and also that it fits into your pressure cooker.
- You can make this cake with all-purpose flour(maida) also. Can even use half of each flour, that is, 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
- In case you make it with all-purpose flour, adjust the quantity of milk, requires less quantity.
- Corn flour is added for an extra sponge and feathery light. In case you don't have it then you can skip this. In that case, take flour full 1 cup only.
- Salt is added to enhance the flavor of the sugar, so go ahead.
- Use normal sugar. No need to powder it.
- You can use any cooking oil.
- If your curd is too watery then keep it in the strainer for 10-15 minutes and then use.
- Also, do not use curd straight from the refrigerator. Let it remain on the kitchen counter for 15 to 20 minutes at least.
- The quantity of milk may vary depending on the consistency of curd used.
- Salt maintains a constant temperature inside the pressure cooker and ensures an even distribution of heat.
- Stand acts as an insulation between the flame and the cake pan. Without a stand, the bottom of the cake will get cooked quickly.
- Sifting is very important, especially in wheat cakes. The more you sift, the better the cake is. So, don't avoid it.
- Baking time may vary, so keep a check from 25 minutes onwards.
- Always invert cake on a wire rack otherwise it will turn soggy from the bottom.
- This cake may not turn fully brown from the top.
- Do not use the salt used for baking cakes etc for cooking purposes. Keep it aside for baking cakes only.
- Variation: You can bake this cake in an OTG also.
- For that: Preheat the oven to 180º C for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 35-40 minutes.
This post was originally published in April 2018 and republished in July 2020 with new pictures and updated text.