- 1 Why Used Amla in Mouth freshener?
- 2 Amla Beetroot Mukhwas
- 3 Why You Will Love This Recipe
- 4 Tip
- 5 Step By Step Recipe
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Related Recipes
- 8 LET’S CONNECT
- 9 Amla Mukhwas
Amla Mukhwas is a healthy, delicious, and natural mouth freshener made with Amla and beetroot. A tasty mouth freshener that you will love to have not just after the meals but throughout the day.
If you avoid Amla due to its bitter taste, then you must try this as you will be surprised with its deliciousness, without being bitter at all.
Why Used Amla in Mouth freshener?
Superfood Indian Gooseberry or as we call Amla, always attracted me by its looks and qualities though never liked its bitter taste. Also, knowing the countless health benefits of it, I wanted to include this somehow in my daily diet but it was not very easy.
At times, I got readymade amla extract also but then again wasn't very regular in consuming it as the bitterness persisted in it too. Once in a while, added it in soups, juices, gravies or coriander chutney but it was only occasional. I Have also tried its murabba but again, honestly speaking, it was more of a compromise rather than willingly having it.
I wondered how to make it a regular part of my food preparations.
One day, I stumbled upon a very tasty mouth freshener at my sister-in-law Archana Aggarwal's place. Couldn't believe it when came to know that it was dried gooseberry with some spices in it. It was so tasty. Not at all bitter.
Not only me but my hubby and sons also liked it very much.
Amla Beetroot Mukhwas
Incidentally, after few days only, I got to eat another beautiful version of it made by my friend Renu Goel.
Beautiful....yes... because of its lovely Fuschia color. It was the same gooseberry but with some beetroot added to it. I even add little beetroot to my Pasta Sauce because of its color.
Beetroot is added in very small quantities. Just 1 beetroot in 2 kgs of Gooseberries but it imparted lovely pink color.
In case you don't wish to add beetroot for whatever reason, then my suggestion is that you dry it in the refrigerator. It works absolutely well though takes a long time in drying up.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Besides the benefits of gooseberry and beetroot, this mouth freshener is a very good digestive also it has rock salt, carom seeds and asafoetida in it.... all things good for digestion.
- Having it daily, any time of the day, or especially after meals can work wonders.
- It's quick and easy to make but the only requirement is that it should be dried properly. No moisture at all.
- Once dried properly, you can keep it for months. Drying time depends on the intensity of sunlight, from 2 days to 10 days.
A very important thing is, to toss it every now n then. Even a single strand that doesn't get the touch of your hands gets spoiled. Hence handle it with love and care to reap its benefits.
Step By Step Recipe
- Mix all the ingredients, that is grated Amla, grated beetroot and all the spices.
- Spread it on a wide tray or plate.
- Cover with a mesh and let it dry in the sunlight.
- Till dried completely, toss it every day in the morning/evening. This is very important, as even a single strand when not tossed turns black. So be very careful and don't skip this important tip.
- In the absence of sunlight, you can dry it under a fan also. But keep tossing.
- Once dried properly, store it in an airtight container and consume it daily preferably.
- You can even pack it in zip lock bags.
Q) Doesn't Amla lose vitamin C after it is dried?
Normally when dried, food items lose most of the vitamin C present in them, but Amla is an exception to this rule as it contains certain substances that protect the vitamin from being destroyed.
Q) It gets dried in how many days?
That depends on the sunlight. Thus, it may take anywhere between 2 to 10 days depending upon how brightly Mr. sun shines.
Q) Can I dry it in any other way, other than the sunlight?
- You can dry it under a fan.
- Also, it dries beautifully in the refrigerator. Keep the tray, as it is, in the refrigerator and toss it at least twice a day. Do not cover the tray or plate.
Q) What is the shelf life of this mouth freshener?
As both amla and beetroot are dried completely, so you can store it easily for up to 6 months.
Another Mukhwas that you would love to have is:
I hope you have liked this recipe for Amla Mukhwas and will surely try it out for your loved ones. I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
A natural mouth freshener made with Amla and beetroot
- 250 g Amla (Gooseberry)
- 1 Tbsp Beetroot
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Rock salt
- 1 tsp Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1/2 tsp Heeng (Asafoetida)
Rinse Amla and wipe with cloth. Grate it
Peel beetroot and grate it.
Mix all the above ingredients, that is grated Amla, grated beetroot and all the spices.
Spread it on a wide tray or plate.
Cover with a mesh and let it dry in sunlight.
Till dried completely, toss it every day in the morning as well as in the evening. This is very important, as even a single strand when not tossed turns black. So be very careful and don't skip this important tip.
In the absence of sunlight, you can dry it under fan also. But keep tossing.
Once dried properly, store it in an airtight container and consume it daily preferably.
- You can vary the quantity of spices as per your taste buds.
- Add beetroot a little at a time. If added too much, nothing happens except that the color may get too dark.
- You can add a little bit of sugar also to the mixture, just 1 tsp.