Baked Spinach Corn, a continental delight, wherein both spinach and corn are mixed in white sauce and are then baked with a layer of cheese. When served with garlic bread, this is one spinach recipe that your kids would love to have and demand often.
The icing on the cake is that white sauce is made with whole wheat flour instead of refined flour.
It is an excellent dish to be served at parties or in your day to day meals.
Spinach, as we all know is a storehouse of nutrients and we often look for ways to incorporate spinach into our daily meals in some form or the other. Spinach juice, spinach chapati, Palak Paneer (Cottage cheese dumplings in spinach gravy), Palak ki kadhi (spinach in gram flour and curd gravy), Palak ka saag (spinach vegetable), etc. And now this Palak Corn recipe, that too in continental style!
Luckily my children love spinach in any form, be it a traditional Indian dish or a continental one. They are fond of spinach. So, I also try to make different dishes using this leafy vegetable.
Some other spinach delicacies that you must try are:
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Baked Palak Corn is simply a favorite at my place. My children love it all the more because it is served with garlic bread. Yes, instead of chapati, it tastes good with garlic bread. And I bake garlic bread also at home and that too with wheat flour.
- Another good plus point of this dish is the white sauce.
- Normally white sauce is made using all-purpose flour but I make it with wheat flour only.
- Believe me, there is hardly any difference between the two, except for the color of course. And when mixed with spinach or pasta, even the color does not matter. Unless you mention it, no one will come to know that it is made with wheat flour.
- It involves 3 different steps
- Preparing Spinach
- Boiling Corns
- Preparing White Sauce
- Cook spinach and boil corn in advance and keep in the refrigerator to save time, if required.
- I have used American corns here. You can use that or canned corn or take out from the corn web.
- For making this dish, the more finely spinach is chopped, the better it is. I usually chop it in my food processor.
Step By Step Recipe
A. Cook Spinach And Corn
- Clean spinach, take off thick stalks and wilted leaves. Wash it thoroughly in running water. Chop it very finely.
Tip: Use the discarded stalks to make Spinach Soup.
- Squeeze chopped spinach to release extra water.
Tip: Use this water in gravies or kneading flour.
- In a pan heat olive oil and saute garlic and onion in it.
- Add squeezed spinach to the pan.
- Cook till all the water evaporates.
- Boil corns until tender.
B. Prepare White Sauce
- Put oil and butter in a pan.
- When butter melts, add flour.
- Stirring continuously, cook for a minute or so, so that rawness of the flour goes away.
- Switch off the flame, add milk in 2 or 3 batches, stirring continuously with the other hand.
- Cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes till you get a sauce-like consistency and it coats at the back of the spoon.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked spinach and boiled corn to the white sauce.
- Mix everything nicely and transfer this to a baking dish.
- Grate cheese over it.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese melts and gets brown and your Spinach Corn Au Gratin is ready!
- Serve with toasted garlic bread.
Q) I do not have an oven. Can’t I make this then?
No, you still can. In the absence of an oven, add cheese to the spinach corn mix in the pan only. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes till cheese melts and mixes in it.
Q) Which cheese to be used?
Use any Pizza cheese or say Mozarella cheese only for the best results.
Hope you have liked this recipe of Spinach and Corn Bake and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram for the latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Baked Spinach and Corn
- 1 Cup 250 g Chopped Spinach
- 1 Cup 250 g Corns
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 Onion Chopped finely
- 1 Cup 250 g White Sauce
- 100 g Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Wheat Flour Atta
- 1 Cup Milk at room temperature
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Olive oil
Cook Spinach And Corn
- In a pan, heat olive oil.
- Put crushed garlic and chopped onion.
- Saute until light brown.
- Add chopped spinach to it and cook on medium flame.
- Cook till all the water evaporates and it becomes almost dry. This serves the dual purpose, the spinach gets cooked and all the water is evaporated.
- Boil corns for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
Prepare white sauce.
- Put oil and butter in a heated pan. (Butter, when added directly, tends to burn, hence added to oil)
- When butter melts, add wheat flour.
- Stirring continuously, cook on medium flame for a minute or so, It should be like a roux (paste). If the mix is even little crumbled, add little more butter.
- While cooking it will be frothy, keep stirring.
- When the colour of the flour changes a little, also you can feel the aroma coming out of it then switch off the flame.
- Pour little milk with one hand and keep stirring with the other hand. You have to be quick otherwise lumps may form.(Always add milk in batches)
- When mixed homogenously, again pour some more milk repeating the act of stirring. It will be a smooth paste.
- Lastly, put the remaining milk.
- Mix nicely.It will be very liquidy at this stage.
- Cook this liquidy mixture on medium flame.
- Soon it will start thickening.
- After about 5 to 6 minutes, when it coats the back of the spoon and you get the desired sauce-like consistency, then switch off the flame.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Use as desired.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Add sauteed spinach and boiled corns in the white sauce.
- Mix properly and adjust seasoning, if required.
- Transfer it to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over it.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes or till cheese melts and gets a little brown
- Serve with love and bread of your choice, preferably garlic bread.
- In the absence of oven, add cheese to the spinach corn mix in the pan only. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes till cheese melts and mixes in it.
- Clean spinach, take off thick stalks and wilted leaves.
- Wash it thoroughly in running water. Chop it very finely. Use the discarded spinach stalks to make spinach soup.
- 1/2 kg of spinach gives about 250 g of cleaned and chopped spinach.
- Squeeze out excess water in the chopped spinach by pressing between your palms. This saves your cooking time. Use this water for kneading flour or in gravies.
- While cooking ensure that the spinach dries up otherwise when transferred to white sauce it will be watery.
- Keep salt on the lower side only as cheese too has salt. I have added salt only to the white sauce. Use any cheese that melts easily, mozzarella or cheese slices. Adjust the quantity of corn and cheese as per your liking.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy…
Visitor Rating: 2 Stars
Visitor Rating: 1 Stars
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars
Thank u for the wonderful recipe. Last nite’s only tried it and it can out really well. Just a little black pepper powder and oregano I added in place of nutmeg powder
My guests also loved it.
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars