Chana salad or say chickpea salad, a simple yet very delicious salad. Rich in protein & fibre, it is gluten-free, vegan and good for weight watchers too.
Chickpeas Salad, though a very simple salad but is loved by all. I have made it several times and every time it has been a show stopper. Even my hubby, who is not a very salad loving person, likes this salad a lot and often asks me to make it. In fact, this chickpea salad and raw mango salad are the only two salads that he himself demands.
Whenever I boil Chickpeas, either for making Chana Masala or Hummus or Falafel, I take out a bowl of these and reserve it in the refrigerator for making a salad the next day.
Chickpeas also known as Garbanzo beans are a very healthy legume that comes with a full package of protein, vitamins, minerals, and fibre.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It is low in fat without any cholesterol. When combined with veggies, it becomes a perfect salad. It is an excellent side dish if you are hosting a large number of people.
- This salad is a meal in itself and is apt for weight watchers.
- Also, this is gluten-free and vegan too.
- Chickpeas are of course the main ingredient here. You can add or swap it with kidney beans or black beans.
- You can add veggies of your choice. I add very basic veggies like cucumber, tomato, capsicum and carrots. You can add onions, cottage cheese, bell peppers, celery etc. Basically, add whatever you have handy in the kitchen. Try to make it colourful by adding varied coloured veggies.
- One important veggie which I would recommend adding is ginger. Either grate it or add minced ginger. It enhances the taste of this salad manifolds. Also, add a lot of cilantro. However, in the absence of cilantro, you can even add basil or parsley or curry leaves or mint leaves.
- Also, when in season, add finely chopped or grated raw mangoes. The taste of raw mangoes is simply outstanding. Reduce lemon juice in that case.
- Make it at least one or two hours prior to serving so that the flavours are well absorbed.
- Add lots of green coriander or mint for a refreshing flavour.
So, next time you make Chana Masala or hummus or falafel, then reserve a cup of boiled chickpeas in the refrigerator. And the very next day, make this salad.
I hope you have liked this Chana Salad Recipe and will surely try it out for your loved ones. I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Chana Salad Recipe
- 1 Cup Boiled Chickpeas (Kabuli Chana)
- 1/2 Cup Cucumber, Diced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Capsicum, Diced
- 2 to 3 Tablespoon Cilantro, Chopped Finely
- 1 teaspoon Finely grated Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Roasted and Ground Cumin
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper Crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon Vinegar Or lemon Juice
In a big bowl, combine boiled chickpeas and all the veggies.
Season with salt, black pepper, cumin powder, oil and vinegar.
Keep in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
Serve with love.
- To boil chickpeas, soak them in water for 4 to 6 hours and boil in the pressure cooker for 15 to 20 minutes or till tender. 1/2 cup chickpeas, when soaked and boiled, will give you 1 cup chickpeas.
- If you are using canned Garbanzo beans then simply drain and use them.
- In place of cilantro, you can add parsley, mint, celery or curry leaves.