These baked Donuts are truly Guilt-Free as they are baked and made with wheat flour. What more one can ask for?
These chocolate donuts, when dipped in homemade chocolate sauce and taste amazing!
Doughnuts or Donuts? Who cares! As long as these tickle my taste buds, I am all ready for it. Btw, how do you like to write it?
If you thought that making doughnuts is some rocket science then let me assure you that it is the easiest one to do.
With the same dough that you make for making doughnuts, you can try sweet loaves of bread made with orange marmalade and Nutella: ORANGE BABKA BREAD or CHOCOLATE BRAIDED BREAD
Also, if not very fond of sweet bread then reduce the quantity of sugar to just 1 tsp and try other bread too like Ladi Pav or Domino’s Style Garlic Bread or Stromboli.
This easy recipe of donuts uses yeast which gives it fluffiness and sponginess even when baked. Normally, doughnuts are fried but after trying out baked doughnuts I seriously feel is there any need to deep fry these when the baked ones too come out soft and fluffy?
Anyways, for this recipe, just get instant yeast. Yes, it’s important for this recipe. Take instant yeast, either from the market or online. Once you have the yeast, follow this recipe and you will have lovely doughnuts.
I have made these doughnuts many times and every time everybody has relished them fully. Three years back, when my blog completed six months even then I made these to celebrate my blogging journey. as an expression of gratitude to all my readers, for their support. love and feedback through various means. It is really very encouraging and motivating.
How To Make
Making baked doughnuts is very easy. Once you have kneaded the dough well, the rest of the steps are quite easy. I made these using both whole wheat flour and refined flour and the result was amazing. You can replace the refined flour with an equal quantity of fine semolina also.
Also, in this recipe, I mixed instant yeast with the flour only and did not proof it separately. If you are not sure of working with yeast or of the quality of yeast then my suggestion is that you prove it in lukewarm water separately first. Once it gets frothy then add this solution to the flour and knead the dough. To have a detailed method, check this recipe of Pizza rolls where I have proofed yeast in lukewarm water first.
Once the dough is made, it is rolled out and roundels are cut using a bangle or any steel bowl. A small piece is cut from the center to create the doughnut look. Thereafter it is baked. Lastly, dip it in chocolate sauce or strawberry sauce and enjoy.
Donuts Without A Donut Pan
Doughnuts pan are there in the market but when 2 simple lids serve the purpose then why buy them. You need one big lid or bowl to cut the roundels and then you need a very small lid to cut it from the centre. The lid of vanilla essence or rose water or any such thing will serve the purpose beautifully. Just have a look at your pantry and you will get to see a lot many bottles with tiny lids.
Step by Step Recipe
- Take a big bowl, add all-purpose flour, wheat flour and salt. Mix roughly.
- Add sugar, curd, instant yeast and butter.
- Knead into a smooth and supple dough using warm water. Knead for at least 10 to 15 minutes till it becomes smooth and shiny. The dough will be very sticky initially but continue kneading and it will stop sticking after some time. You may use dry flour if the dough is unmanageable but very little.
- Grease a bowl. Put the dough in it, flip it so that it gets greased from all the sides.
- Cover it, with a lid/plastic film/damp cloth and let it rest for at least an hour or till it becomes double in volume.
- Deflate the dough. Dust flour on your working station and using a rolling pin roll the dough into 1/2″ thickness.
- Using Donut cutter cut shapes. In the absence of a Donut cutter, cut using 2 lids, one big and one small, as shown in the pic below. Cut all the doughnuts like this.
- Line your baking tray with parchment paper and keep the doughnuts on this
- Cover it with some cloth and leave it for 30 to 40 minutes for the second rising.
- After 30 minutes approximately, preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Milk wash your doughnuts before putting them in the oven. For this, take 1 tsp milk in a bowl and brush it lightly over the doughnuts.
- Bake for 15- 17 minutes. Take them out as soon as they get light brown. Over baking may make them hard.
- Keep these on a wire rack. After a few minutes, place them upside down in melted dark chocolate or Chocolate Sauce.
- Sprinkle confetti etc.
- Or, place them upside down in melted butter first then in the cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Serve with love
New To Bread Baking?
If you are new to bread making or have some inhibitions in using yeast, then my suggestion is that you first go through the basics by reading ALL ABOUT YEAST and BASICS OF BREAD MAKING.
However, if you are friendly with yeast then forget the above posts and dive straight into the recipe below.
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars
Mam I tried this recipe of doughnuts using 2 cups 100 percent flour . Every thing went well just a lil problem that is crust was not as soft as bakery doughnuts it was a bit crispy. I want to know the mistake.thanku
Crispy top means slightly over baked. Try reducing the baking time.Also, dip in chocolate sauce/butter when little warm only. And you used 100% of which flour? Wheat or maida? If wheat, then first try with half each or only with maida.
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars
What can be a good substitute of dry yeast and cornflour?
That depends on the recipe.
Hi madam , thanks for the step by step instructions. Just one doubt – after proofing is done , if I couldn’t place all the doughnut at a time in my tray , whrer to store the remaining dough till the first set is baked ? If kept outside will it not raise more ? ( Happened when I baked my pizza – though the 3 Rd pizza was equally good )
Hi Akila, thanks for finding the details useful. In this weather, you can keep the extra dough or shaped Doughnuts (either of them) in the refrigerator. Then take out 5 or 10 minutes prior to baking.
Tried these today . Came out really well . Made choclate sauce for few and jam glaze for few .thankyou
Thank you so much for sharing your awesome feedback.
Thanks for your recipe Samira.. my kids really enjoyed the donuts..
Really glad to know that. Thanks a lot for sharing your lovely feedback.