- 1 Ingredients
- 2 Navratri Fast Recipe
- 3 Serving Suggestions
- 4 Step By Step Recipe
- 5 Vegan Waffles Recipe
An ultimate vegan waffles recipe of crispy and fluffy waffles using just 3 ingredients. Neither oil nor Butter nor sugar/jaggery is used.
These Waffles are grain-free too, hence can be easily consumed during fasts too.
Then, what are those 3 ingredients? Let's check it out...
A very easy, simple, straight forward and healthy recipe but with excellent results.
When I saw this recipe, as I had the ingredients handy, I mixed up a little batter and tried out just 2 waffles. First of all, the texture was amazing, it took a little while (slightly more than my other waffles) but I was loving the way they were coming up. And then finally, when I served it to my son, Shivang, who is a foodie but finicky too, he said: "hmmm, acchha hai" (ya, it's good). If he says good then it means excellent. It's very rare that he appreciates.
And now if you are wondering why did I have tapioca flour in my pantry, so thanks to my dear hubby. He hardly does grocery shopping and once in a blue moon if he does then it is enough to create a story. These Navratras (just a few days back), while buying fast ingredients, he got this tapioca flour also, thinking I would be requiring it. And guess, how much? A bag of full 1 kg. I used little of it but since then have been surfing the internet for cassava flour recipes. So, in a way thanks to him. Had he not got the flour, I wouldn't have come across this amazing recipe.
These Waffles are crispy just like the ones you get in cafes/bakeries and that too with a healthy quotient.
This recipe is
Leavening agents (baking powder, baking soda, yeast) free
- Tapioca Flour: is made from the cassava plant's extracted starch. Agreed that tapioca flour is a type of starch and is all carbohydrates. But it has its own benefits, namely:
- Low in calories, sugar, and fat
- Tasteless and odourless
- Excellent for people having a poor digestive system
- Superior to all-purpose flour
- Excellent for baking as it gives fluffy and crisp baked goods. You can read about it in detail here.
- Almond Meal : The recipe also needed the almond meal. Though a healthy flour but I generally do no use it so doesn't stock it also. And neither hubby bought it accidentally. But almonds are usually there in the house. So, I put a little in the grinder, pounced them and my almond meal was ready. Sharing some tips as to how to grind almonds below, do not miss that.
- Coconut Milk : I used store-bought. You can use same or make your own.
As Sago is very well eaten during fasts so these waffles too can be easily had. Sago being rich in carbohydrates gives you instant energy and also keeps you full for a longer period of time, making it ideal for consuming during fasts.
Serve it in breakfast or as a dessert with either:
- Strawberry Coulis
- Fresh Fruits
- Caramelized Bananas
- Vanilla Ice cream and Chocolate Sauce
- Pineapple Sauce
Related Recipes you may like :
Step By Step Recipe
- Mix both the flours and make a thick batter by adding coconut milk.
- Heat waffle maker. When the green light is lit, then grease it nicely
- Put the batter in the waffle maker.
- Take out, serve with vanilla ice cream and chocolate /strawberry sauce. Or, if having in breakfast then drizzle honey and fruits.
Vegan Waffles Recipe
A very simple vegan recipe of crispy and fluffy waffles using just 3 ingredients. Neither oil nor Butter is used.
- 3/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/4 Cup Almond Meal
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
Mix both the flours and make a thick batter by adding coconut milk. Add little milk at a time. You need thick batter and do not make it too runny. So, add coconut milk as required. You need thick coconut milk. I used canned one.
Heat waffle maker. When the green light is lit, then grease it lightly.
Put the batter in it and let the waffle maker do its job. Do not try to peep in for the first 6 to 7 minutes. When the green light is lit, then also wait for few more minutes. Bake till slightly golden in colour.
Take out, serve with vanilla ice cream and chocolate /strawberry sauce. Or, if having in breakfast then drizzle honey and fruits.
- If you have an almond meal then use it. But in case, you do not have it then follow this. To make almond meal, put whole almonds in the grinder. Now do not run the grinder like you grind normal sugar or spices. This is because, as almonds are rich in oil, and if you do so, it will be paste-like. So, to prepare the meal (flour) always run the grinder in pulse mode which means in short spurts of say 4 to 5 seconds at a time. Do this multiple times till you have a fine powder.
- Sugar is not required as the waffles are eaten with ice cream or chocolate sauce or fruits. Still, if you want, you may add one or two teaspoons of sugar or jaggery powder.
- You can make these in advance and reheat in otg or airfryer at the time of serving. Not recommended to reheat in the microwave as they may get soggy.